Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

thread about the au pair who wouldn't leave?

(18 Posts)
giraffesCantGoGuising Tue 05-Nov-13 23:33:54

I can't find it can anyone link? What happened in the end? Just wondering how OP is

She ended up with a few threads on chat, it was homer. Sorry, on my phone so can't link but if somebody doesn't get there before me I'll come on when I get home and do it smile

She now has a new one starting I believe!

Callaird Wed 06-Nov-13 12:00:29
HomerPigeon Sun 10-Nov-13 20:25:13

Hi! I was the OP on those threads. What happened afterwards was:

After the day the mad Italian left, although there were various threats/requests from her, she seemed to get the message and I didn't hear further from her. Then it was half term and I had that covered between me and the DCs' dad - and spent all the evenings scouring Gumtree, AP World and agencies for a replacement.

I wanted an over-25, as our AP has to drive for school run. After Skype interviewing various over-qualified Spanish and Italian candidates on AP World, none of whom asked a single question about the kids or our family, I spoke to an Austrian girl who is 22. She had come

HomerPigeon Sun 10-Nov-13 20:26:13

S

HomerPigeon Sun 10-Nov-13 20:29:00

Sorry. My phone is a bit crackers. Anyway, I took the Austrian on and she is working out really well. She's mature, independent and the kids love her. She actually talks to them at the end of the day and takes an interest in their interests. She had au pairs herself as a child, and I think that helps because she sees it from the children's eyes, so to speak. We're all still settling in but I feel 100% better, less stressed, and confident that the kids are well cared for. It was horrendous getting rid of the last one but I think absolutely the right decision for our family. I will never take that much crap again!

nbee84 Sun 10-Nov-13 21:36:04

Yay Homer! - sounds like a the happy ending you deserve after all the crap from the last one flowers

Great to hear the update Homer and that it is all working out for you and your family. I will always remember the mad Italian. grin

HomerPigeon Mon 11-Nov-13 19:03:08

Sadly we will always remember her too! But at least we now have one we like grin

Squiffyagain Mon 11-Nov-13 22:15:13

If its any consolation, homer, my au pair walked out in a huff because she caught chicken pox from my daughter and informed me that I had exposed her to a potentially fatal disease... Then her parents went to a medical negligence lawyer to try to prosecute me for it.

I wont forget her in a hurry, either.

RosinaCopper Mon 11-Nov-13 23:05:58

Oh Homer, I am so pleased that you found someone else and that she fits in with your family.

Good au pairs are an absolute godsend and can make such a difference.

Au pairs who don't work out though, well they don't make such a positive difference, (unless you count the lightening of the atmosphere when they leave!)

toffeesponge Tue 12-Nov-13 13:17:59

Squiffy shock.

Homer - so pleased for you all you have finally got someone sensible, mature and nice to look after your children.

HomerPigeon Wed 13-Nov-13 11:36:08

T)

HomerPigeon Wed 13-Nov-13 11:37:08

Thanks all. She consolidated her position this morning by offering to make a cake for DD's school cake sale this weekend grin

Squiffy shock

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 13-Nov-13 13:46:09

I missed pigeons original thread but have now read and omfg !!!!

She def laid the guilt trip on you and yes it's easy for people to say just get rid of but much harder when no dh/dp about to support

But glad all is good now smile

Squiffy for the first time I think ever on mn from me is biscuit

Being sued for catching cp shock and have another biscuit

jnl0612 Wed 13-Nov-13 22:28:46

Mine gave me 20 minutes notice to get home from work before she left and when I didn't get home in time she left the kids by themselves !! 1 and 7 then couldn't understand why I was angry when I passed her at the bottom of my street shock

GoodnessKnows Wed 13-Nov-13 23:27:13

Where did you finally find your Wonder Aus from? My ap is leaving on Sunday ;(

HomerPigeon Thu 14-Nov-13 10:34:43

I got her from an agency GoodnessKnows, will PM you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now