This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to do a CRB/DBS check on a privately hired nanny

(12 Posts)

Me again.... I've found a lovely nanny privately and her last CRB check was a few years ago so I'd like to run a CRB/DBS check on her for peace of mind but I'm struggling to find a way of doing it. Can anyone recommend an agency/online service that can do it at a reasonable cost please?

Yerazig Tue 29-Oct-13 16:08:13

Hiya you won't be able to do it personally if you contact local nanny agencies they would be able to do it cost will varie. Or if you was plannig for her to be ofsted registered she then will get a DBS via the registration.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Oct-13 16:31:34

why doesnt she just ask an agency do to it for her?

surprised she hasnt updated it yearly tbh

GoldiChops Tue 29-Oct-13 21:47:01

I think this is one of those costs of being a nanny that I pay for myself, along with first aid and insurance. However the CRB was not worth the paper it's written on, don't know if that has changed with the new one but it means nothing, just that they haven't been charged with anything in this country.

Thanks all. She got one with her Ofsted registration but nothing since. Thamks Yerazig I've found d a nanny agency that will do it. goldi I feel the same - think the only reason I'm doing it is I'd kick myself if anything happened and I hadn't done it but I know in my heart it's a pointless waste of money.

Callaird Wed 30-Oct-13 09:13:38

blondes - do you really update your CRB/DBS yearly? Even if you are in full time work? Mine is almost 3 years old and none of the agencies have told me to update it as they think it means nothing!

I will update it if I need it for OFSTED but otherwise I don't think I will.

pink - I think you can find umbrella companies that can do a private DBS as they are now known, I don't know of any but I do know some people who have used them, try google and I'll e-mail those I know and ask if they still have details.

Shosha1 Wed 30-Oct-13 09:16:20

God mine hasnt been updated in about 15 years, when I asked Ofsted about it I was told if I did anything I would tell them !

Mine wasnt even a CRB, but what was then called a Police Check.

I was a CM then, and thought when I switched to nannying that Ofsted would up date, but nope.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 30-Oct-13 14:15:32

Yes. Always update yearly - have to as do so many wedding creches as well as mat nurse /night nanny jobs - as working with tiny 7/14day old babies it reassure the family esp mums

tho rarely do the families ask For it (always in my folder) but guess agencies send them a copy

So I am now the proud owner of a DBS smile

Callaird Wed 30-Oct-13 16:40:02

Blondes - Ah, I forgot that you did crèches and ad hoc work! Of course, then it is better to have one rather than miss out on work if a parent wanted to see it.

None of the families I have interviewed with have asked me to update it, if they did ask as a condition of being offered a job I would do it but until someone asks I won't blow £60 on a meaningless piece of paper.

Even as a nanny I think it's worthless. Obviously this doesn't include 99% of nannies but the DBS doesn't mean you haven't done anything wrong, just that you haven't been caught or reported! I hear horror stories from many nanny employers from various sources, on here, interviewers, other chat sites, other nannies, where the family have/had an awful/neglectful/abusive/bullying nanny but they didn't report them, they just let them go and gave a very generic reference to let this person (I refuse to call them a nanny) go on and look after someone else's child.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 30-Oct-13 19:17:58

how weird, all the interviews ive been for perm and temp and mat work, all ask if i have an up to date one, but never want to see it

agree it isnt worth the paper, as just means you havnt been caught .....

saying that, if you had done something then least it would show up on there

Callaird Wed 30-Oct-13 21:23:38

All but one of my interviews have been through agencies, the agencies have a copy which they forward to the family, the family I saw through gumtree had a quick glance through my folder and was more interested in the photos of the crafts we do, menu lists and pictures of my ex-charges!

She flipped straight past all the front part! Although I had e-mailed C.V. last three references (all personal information removed) CRB and First Aid certificate to her before I saw her.

A quick question, do you have a copy of your MM insurance in your folder? I have insurance but it's all done on-line now and never thought to have insurance certificate available for future employers to see?

I have never, in 27 years, been asked by agencies or families if I have insurance! Most don't even know it is available until I tell them!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 31-Oct-13 15:32:11

CALLAIRD yes i have a copy of my nanny insurance, as well as cv, NNEB certificate, refs, dbs, first aid and marriage certificate (first 15yrs refs and NNEB certificate are in my maiden name) all in my folder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now