This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying aupair's travel.. AIBU??

(69 Posts)
cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 10:04:22

I have agreed to pay my aupair for every bus journey she does which involves my kids inc if getting bus home from dropping kids at school and getting bus to school to pick up kids. She uses an Oyster card which she loads up and I transfer money into her bank account. I have just found out that she has walked some of the journeys but I have been paying her the bus fare. I am a bit annoyed. It is obviously her choice to walk so I shouldn't pay her bus fare if she hasn't used the bus surely??

Oh yeah what herrena said.

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 10:59:47

Rosh- fair point. Can promise you she is having the best time ever. I'm not overly demanding and she keeps telling me about other aupair's she has met who are treated appallingly.

HRHLadyG Sun 20-Oct-13 11:00:33

If you like her and trust her.....maybe its simpler to see this as a little 'bonus' and her choice. Its unlikely that she's deliberately trying to steal from you isn't it! We have a full time Nanny and I have learnt to pick my battles wisely!! It wouldn't be worth creating bad feeling and risking the relationship you have with her....

sapfu Sun 20-Oct-13 11:03:37

I know what you mean about online topping up if you mostly use buses - I top mine up with cash at a local shop for that reason.

I don't think you can ask her to top up out of her own money and then reimburse her, but could you give her cash and then ask her to top up that day and give you the receipt? Might give you more accuracy in watching her expenses.

I think for a few quid it's sort of not worth the hassle, but if you're really watching money, and she's doing it daily, it's £8 a week. Though, as others have said, she might just decide to take the bus instead of walk, because that's how she'll get free travel in the evenings.

chattychattyboomba Sun 20-Oct-13 11:04:53

Ummm...buy her an oyster (registered under you)... Top up pay as you go. You can log on to tfl and check the journeys she is making. Tell her to top it up and bring you receipt for reimbursement- then go over the journeys made with her and figure out exactly what you are liable for...personal journeys can be her own expense no? Just an idea

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:09:40

chatty - RTT - Just an idea.

HSMMaCM Sun 20-Oct-13 11:13:19

Perhaps she's only walking when she's missed the bus, or has to wait ages for the next one.

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:21:26

Chatty - that is what I have done. So now I can see she must have walked some journeys which I have paid her bus fare for and just wondering what people think I should do ie. Continue to pay for her bus fare despite her choosing to not use bus but walk...

Have decided I will say nothing but keep a check and if starts to add up to silly amounts of money then will say something.

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:21:59

Several buses in my direction from school and very frequent service

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:24:07

cockatoo - but why will you say something? What harm is she doing? You would be happy to pay it if she was sitting on the bus - so why not just pay her for the return trip whenever she has to drop or collect the kids? Why not let her choose to walk and save the £1.40. It makes no difference to you if she is sitting on the bus or walking does it?!

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:26:57

Surely you have better things to do with your time than scrutinise the Oyster card to check each and every trip she may or may not have made on the bus when you'd be happy to pay it if she had taken the bus??

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:29:45

Chipping- takes 10secs to look. Journey history gets emailed weekly to me. Of course I have better things to do including watching where my hard earned money goes!

cafecito Sun 20-Oct-13 11:32:54

I would just put a set amount of money every week on the oyster card

cafecito Sun 20-Oct-13 11:34:01

and I would ensure she has her own oyster card - and do a regular weekly bus pass on it if possible.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:34:20

<qwerty>

But what difference does it make to you if she walks or not???????????

You are prepared to pay the return bus fare - just pay it. Let her decide if she wants to get the bus or save the money. It makes NO difference to you!

What do you do for a job?

cafecito Sun 20-Oct-13 11:35:30

if it has a regular pass why on earth would you need to check it. just forget about it. she's not using the money for other purposes - it's on the oyster, so no dishonesty there and nothing to stress over

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:36:15

Thank you everyone. Good discussion.

Have decided I will say nothing.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:37:04

cafecito that probably wouldn't be fair because sometimes the AP has to do the drop off/collections and sometimes she doesn't. All the OP needs to do is give the OP X times return trip amounts depending on how many times the AP has had to do the drop offs/collections. It's really not difficult - it's just the OP is trying to save money that isn't hers to save really.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 11:38:16

Well, it is hers to save in a way as it's an expense being reimbursed that's not being incurred - but frankly, I think it's mad. Just pay the AP for the return trips and leave it to her whether she walks or gets the bus.

ihearsounds Sun 20-Oct-13 11:54:22

Not all my journeys log.
When I get multiple busses in a day, sometimes it logs as getting on the same bus twice at the same time, but will miss another bus.
Some days, none of my journeys are logged, even though I have used several.
Sometimes, the site tells me I have no money on the account, or there is money, yet machine tells me something different.

Some journeys I now walk because it's quicker. Plus it's free excercise.

Oh and you say she has 2 cards? Hers and yours. Has it occurred to you that sometimes her accidently uses hers to tap?

Anyway just get her a weekly card. At the moment for weekdays, you are paying £22 for her to take you children to school. Weekly is 19.60...

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:56:18

* HerrenaHarridan * - I placed a question on this forum site as not sure what to do. Perhaps you don't think it is a valid question and that is your opinion but completely unnecessary to call me a dick. Name calling is bullying and horrid on every single level. Several people have said a similar opinion to you and not needed to use derogatory terms within their reply. As you can see I have been open minded and from the points raised have decided to not question and just pay for all journeys whether AP walked or took the bus.

cockatoo Sun 20-Oct-13 11:58:10

Ihear... No I said it would be silly to have 2 Oyster cards. She only has 1 card which I provided and she tops up and I reimburse journeys related to my kids.

ivykaty44 Sun 20-Oct-13 12:08:33

It is travelling expense and if she travels by broomstick or by tellytransportaion or even gets the bus it doesn't matter as you are paying her to travel and however she chooses to travel is up to her.

If I have to travel for work then they pay me the going milage rate, I get to the place I need to be and get back. The fact it is cost me less as I cycle, but I still have to have the bike, wear and tear on my knees and joints so I get paid for travelling.

I don't see it as theft of as doing anything morally wrong, she is getting paid for getting from a to b and she is getting from a to b

NomDeClavier Sun 20-Oct-13 12:13:15

If she's registered on an English course could she get a student oyster? Not sure what the rules are for those nowadays.

Btw tax law and employment law are different. Any au pair over the threshold would become liable for tax and NICs and the host family liable for employers NICs. They are still technically in an employment relationship despite not earning enough to be taxed, hence you can fire them perfectly legally.

sapfu Sun 20-Oct-13 12:58:43

I think the issue is that she isn't taking the bus and is claiming that she did, ie saying 'please can I have more money for the Oyster card as today I took £4.40 (daily cap) worth of buses' when in fact she took £2.80 worth of buses. Maybe she doesn't know that the journeys can be checked up on, online.

It's like if you submitted an expense for something you'd not spent.

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

And whilst it's not a large amount of money, over time it can build up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now