This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Today I got accused of poaching children from another provider

(16 Posts)
Saltire Fri 18-Oct-13 10:14:34

I was going to write "I got accused of poaching children" but thought you might all report me for child abusewink

About 3 weeks ago a mum approached me at school and asked for info, so i gave her it. Then she got in touch and said she would like her 2 children to start coming to mine after half term, before and after school.
They currently use th after school club provided by a local nursery

However, her DH is going away for 6 months and she needs flexibility, which I offer, including opening earlier if need be, which the after school club doesn't provide

Anyway in school playground this morning, one of the playworkers who take the after school club kids to and froms chool told me that "it is very bad practice to poach children from another childcare provider"

I am actually quite upset by it, I never went behind anyones back, the parents approached me and I am always an advocate of "parents choose the best provider for their and their childs needs". In this case, I happen to be the best provider in terms of whats on offer.

oh dear. I think the only response to that would be "The parent is simply looking for childcare that suits her new needs better". It really is not on to approach you like that!

bundaberg Fri 18-Oct-13 10:19:32

what other childcare provider have you poached from>??? the after school club?

how weird

Cindy34 Fri 18-Oct-13 10:24:16

Parents are free to look at other providers whenever they like. The mum contacted you, not you contacting them, so the after-school club can moan all they like but their must be a reason for why the mum wants to change provider so the club is better looking at why the mum wants to leave them.

Buglugs Fri 18-Oct-13 10:36:40

Ignore, what a load of nonsense. It isn't like you've been hanging around outside touting for business! It's 'bad practice' to behave like a knob.

Saltire Fri 18-Oct-13 11:01:12

I just do before and after school care, I don't do full time under 5s any more. If anyone rings me up asking if I can take an under 5, I direct them to the nursery.

The playleader is an much older woman and the parents who approached me said that she felt she was far to strict and didn't like the way she spoke to the children either.
and she said the food they gave the after school club was inadequate for what she was needing.

I have told her that she needs to address the issues with the group and perhaps they can improve on the feedback

topoftheladder Fri 18-Oct-13 11:11:49

You poor thing. You have done nothing wrong and the playworker sounds totally unprofessional. It makes you question what she is like at her job. Forget it and have a nice glass of wine tonight.wine

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 18-Oct-13 12:01:18

You've done nothing wrong

The mum needs flexibility which you can do and school club can't

If teacher says anything else simply say along the lines of mum has asked if I can start early am /have children till lays

Then say would she be prepared to go into club at 6.45am and stay till 9pm on some nights grin

Seb101 Fri 18-Oct-13 12:47:31

That's really bad. It's very unprofessional of her to approach you like this, especially as she's jumping to conclusions and doesn't know the facts! I think I'd make a complaint to the manager of nursery about this. Or I'd approach play worker myself and explain situation and state I wasn't happy with bring accused in that manner. Having said that ignoring is probably the most sensible advice! : it's just I'd feel the need to set the record straight; but maybe that's just me. I'm not one to let things go if I've been accused of something I didn't do! wink

Tanith Fri 18-Oct-13 13:33:26

Mmmhmm! And, of course, were the situation reversed, the playworker would plead with the parent not to remove her children from your care and send them to the nursery...hmm

Like Hell, she would!!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 18-Oct-13 13:36:31

Most of the childminders in our town don't speak to me as a mum moved 2 kids to me for easiness (and for other reasons but she told her distance) and they all took offence to it, doesn't bother me them ignoring me just shows how petty they are.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 18-Oct-13 13:39:33

Hmmm they clearly haven't seen the nursery ads round here that clearly take a pop at another nursery!

YoureBeingADick Fri 18-Oct-13 13:44:52

sheesh!!

in my town there are 2 nurseries, a lot of CMers and several afterschool clubs. nobody would dream of approaching another provider just because a family had chosen to leave their setting. i'm still good friends with both my childminders and the nursery owner that my dcs attended. I was upfront about my reasons each time I changed setting and they were all completely understanding. and I do believe they felt what they said rather than going behind my back and telling other people they were offended.

I think that nursery needs to take \ look at itself.

Forresitters Fri 18-Oct-13 22:22:54

Take no notice of her. I definitely would not want her looking after my own children if that's how she is portraying herself especially towards another Childcarer!
Keep your chin up and your head held high. You're obviously doing something right as business is coming your way!
I detect a hint of bitterness and sheer jealousy! wink

holidaysarenice Sat 19-Oct-13 00:31:29

I would be approaching the playworker's manager for an apology and clairification if they wish to formally write to you stating 'you poached' their child.

Then await backpeddle.

NannyWaines13 Sat 19-Oct-13 23:40:14

I know where you're coming from as I got accused of poaching children too! Up until July I was working in a nursery (had been there 4 years). In June I was babysitting one of my regular families from nursery & out of the blue the mum asked me if I wanted to be their nanny. It was a shock to me as I didn't even know they were considering taking the children out of nursery.

We had to move quickly as they needed me to start 4 weeks later & that's how much notice i needed to give at nursery. My manager was really nice to my face then went around the rest of the staff telling them & slating me for poaching the children! I overheard her twice!! I was so upset because she'd done it behind my back. I dread to think how I would have reacted if she said it to my face like this. I wrote a letter to the owner of the nursery telling her about the manager. Luckily she was really supportive about my new job as she knew nannying was something i had always wanted to do.

Its not nice being accused like this & I would put a complaint in writing to the nursery manager about her staff. If its in writing they can't ignore it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now