This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM ... Hand foot and mouth

(11 Posts)
Stickhasgrownup Sun 13-Oct-13 13:54:30

Don't know anything about this but will google shortly. But would you accept a child with it? What would your policy be?
TIA

Timeforabiscuit Sun 13-Oct-13 14:07:10

My nursery has a no return 48 hour d&v policy, but is actually fine with child having hand foot and mouth - as long as their comfortable with no fever.

Isn't it like CP - once the spots have crusted over?

Actually I'm wrong - here is the guidance. Though DD was too poorly to go to nursery for a few days and couldn't eat comfortably.

insancerre Sun 13-Oct-13 14:28:07

We don't exclude in our nursery unless the child is obviously unwell with a fever etc

Stickhasgrownup Sun 13-Oct-13 14:32:43

Have done some googling and I have decided to exclude while symptoms present. I don't really want to expose my own children to this and would not feel comfortable taking mindee out and about risking other children catching it.

LucyLui25 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:55:38

Under the HPU guidance of infections and disease your not allowed to exclude, we get round it if the child is visibly unwell and we warn parents with the youngest children. We have to close/ regularly sterilise the sand and pretty much anything that child touches. Pain in the bottom!!!

minderjinx Sun 13-Oct-13 16:03:28

HPA guidance is just that - guidance, at least as far as CMs are concerned. It does include a list of serious conditions for which you MUST exclude and/or notify the illness; it does not say you may not exclude for any other reason. Childminders will often set their exclusion rules with a view to what they consider parents of all the children they care for are likely to consider reasonable. Childminders may also have different criteria, depending, for example, on whether they are pregnant or already caring for a child whose has suppressed immunity. Many specify in the interests of other children whose activities would otherwise be curtailed that the unwell child must be reasonably comfortable and able to take part in normal activities. Parents should read or discuss their own childminder's policies with regard to sickness.

HSMMaCM Sun 13-Oct-13 16:34:15

I exclude if the child can't take part in normal activities and warn all the other parents. I've had a few children with hand foot and mouth over the years and with manic cleaning it hasn't spread badly.

Stickhasgrownup Sun 13-Oct-13 20:12:13

Thanks for all replies. Off to do some manic cleaning of baby toys now! smile

Tanith Sun 13-Oct-13 22:13:29

I would not accept a child with Hand Foot and Mouth. It's highly contagious and, although a "mild" illness, some children are very poorly and miserable with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now