Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can a childminder work from your home?

(8 Posts)
Flomo19 Sun 13-Oct-13 13:47:10

I'm currently sorting out childcare for my 1 year old and 4 year old and looking for advice please. Have been highly recommended a childminder who has agreed to look after my children and another child in my own house. She says it's fine as she is also a registered nanny too and if we go ahead she plans to remain self employed. Want to ensure everything is done properly. So paying her as a childminder to work from my home but not as a nanny. Is this ok? Any advice appreciated!

PedlarsSpanner Sun 13-Oct-13 13:59:38

Nope

There are v few circs in which she may be a self employed nanny. Onus is on you to operate PAYE for your nanny (not childminder, they work from their homes, set own terms and conditions for the service provided)

nannynick Sun 13-Oct-13 14:57:43

>Have been highly recommended a childminder who has agreed to look after my children and another child in my own house.

Yes and No.

The childminder could change their registration so that their place of work is listed as being your property. Your property would then need to meet the requirements for childminding and the regulator (which country are you in?) may decide to visit to inspect it, plus can visit to carry out inspections whenever they like - though they usually give a little notice but not always.

>She says it's fine as she is also a registered nanny too and if we go ahead she plans to remain self employed.

Nannies and Childminders in England are on different parts of the Childcare Register. So you would need to look very closely at the exact registration, plus also look into what insurance they have as the insurance for a nanny and childminder are a little different. Some insurers may do something which covers both but that would need to be checked with the insurer.

If she 'rents space' at your home and has other children come to your children, then I suppose that may fit with self employment as a childminder. However if you want any control over things, then they are most likely an employee.

I would steer well clear of this. It is your house and you want to be able to control what happens there - don't let someone else use it to run their business.

nannynick Sun 13-Oct-13 15:13:30

You could do it as a nannyshare:

The nanny is an employee of you and the other family involved.
The other families child comes to your home and the nanny cares for all the children at your home.
You would need an agreement with the other family about how this would work, especially around agreeing holiday dates.

BAPN: Guide to Nanny Shares (pdf)
Taxing Nannies: Nanny Shares Tax/NI
NannyTax: Nanny Shares

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 13-Oct-13 15:23:02

Avoid at all costs

Cm work from their home and are self employed
Nannies work from your home and you employ them

Also if she has kids that she looks after daytime then she can't be a nanny at your house and look after another child - as would have 3 families and ofsted and nanny insurance only allows 2

TheDoctrineOfSpike Sun 13-Oct-13 18:04:48

Isn't there a new category, home childcarer?

nannynick Sun 13-Oct-13 20:11:53

Home Childcarer is Ofsted speak for a nanny. It includes childminders who care for children over the age of 8.

Ofsted says: Voluntary Part
Providers who are not required to register on the compulsory part may choose to register here. These are mainly people looking after children aged eight and over, or providing care in the child's own home like a nanny.

TheDoctrineOfSpike Mon 14-Oct-13 07:35:41

Thanks Nick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now