This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do au pairs in France get paid?

(7 Posts)
YDdraigGoch Fri 11-Oct-13 14:32:36

DD1 is hoping to find work as an au pair in France any time now. Aupairworld.com says pay should be negotiated.
Does anyone know what the going rate is? She's hoping to find a family near Paris, if that makes a difference.

NomDeClavier Fri 11-Oct-13 18:08:05

It totally depends on what they're expected to do and whether she's going as a JF au pair or a stagiaire aide familiale. The latter is quite heavily regulated and pay is around 80EUR/week but the family have obligations to provide quite a lot of things in return. Presumably she's an EU citizen so they could avoid that and then she may be asked to work more hours or care for children under 3 but would probably get paid more.

In central Paris it's not unusual for the family to provide a separate studio flat in their building but they may then expect the AP to get their own food etc.

If she's looking 'near' Paris then then the Western suburbs along RER line A are a good area to be and have both quick access to Paris and good night buses. There used to be an au pair group at the Anglican Church in Paris too.

She will most likely be expected to speak English to the children anywhere in the Ile de France region. If she wants to improve her French (rather than experience living in Paris) then other cities might be a better bet and with the TGV weekend trips are very doable from quite far away.

Good luck to her!

YDdraigGoch Sun 13-Oct-13 00:46:35

Thanks Nom. I'll show her your post.
I think she's expecting before and after school childcare plus a bit of light housework.
She's going to start a French degree next Sept, so wants to improve her French beforehand (has just finished A Level)

mummyofteens Mon 14-Oct-13 15:28:50

My DD is working as an au pair, living in St Cloud, a suburb on the south west side of Paris, and having a fantastic time. She is there primarily to speak English to the children and help with taking them to their various after school activities, help with homework and play with them. Mum doesn't work, there is a housekeeper so my DD does no housework other than making sure the children tidy up their toys when they have been finished playing. She even gets her laundry done for her smile please feel free to ask if you would like any more info.

YDdraigGoch Tue 15-Oct-13 20:52:12

Hi mummy. How much does your dd get paid?

mummyofteens Tue 15-Oct-13 23:29:36

70 euros per week, plus a travel card which covers all her travel expenses, laptop and iphone.

mummyofteens Tue 15-Oct-13 23:30:10

oh and a contribution towards her language school lessons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now