This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair coming to Kenya

(12 Posts)
KenBran Thu 10-Oct-13 20:24:15

We are considering offering an au pair we have been introduced to a chance to come to Kenya. She is German - we need this for the children's homework as they go to a German School. We have 2 children aged 5 and 7 and she will be mainly responsible for doing homework with them (no more than 2hrs per night) and babysitting on Sat mornings. I am wondering what sort of package to offer her. So far we think : most of a paid return flight eg 300-400 euro; own room and all food; meals out etc; daytrips; language classes and a first aid course if she'd like; medical expenses. She is 18. Anything else? How much pocket money would be reasonable? Anything we should watch out for? The kids are out all day so it won't be a very heavy job but we want someone who will be happy here, comfortable with us and stay for our remaining 6 months here. She seems keen for a chance to come to Kenya, seems level-headed and has offered to provide references, though she has not been an au pair before, just done babysitting.
Any tips/thoughts much appreciated.

Snuppeline Thu 10-Oct-13 20:35:59

You say "most of a return flight" but I would expect to pay her full travel. That would include travel insurance. I would offer £400-500, meals out, facilitate contact with her family (e.g. by providing credit for phone, access to Internet, use of laptop - depend on her need). Good luck!

Artandco Thu 10-Oct-13 21:53:33

Are you in a safe area? Would you need to provide gym/ leisure centre membership etc if you use one. Can she drive? Is public transport safe? Etc etc

Cindy34 Fri 11-Oct-13 06:24:49

Visa - who pays, what is the limit on stay?

What will they learn by going to Kenya - when an aupair comes to England they often have language classes, would they get that in. Kenya and if so what language?

What if things don't work out - full cost of return travel sounds like it may be good idea, though is there any visa requirement that return trip is already booked, or have funds to book?

KenBran Fri 11-Oct-13 09:37:22

Thanks all for your very useful tips and questions. Visa in hand and we are paying for that. Gym membership and entry pass to a nearby forest we can do, she'll have access to a driver and car all the time, we live in a safe place with lovely neighbours (some of whom are German and so with school and lots of different people about she will have a ready made community) but I can advise her on places not to go etc. Laptop and internet and a phone also not a problem. She can study English, Kiswahili, French, Arabic, Italian - all available here. And/or volunteer if she wants? Kenyans are very friendly so I think she will find it easy to make friends. Now stuck on pocket money - any tips on going rates per week in London and outside it? The key for us is that she enjoys being here so we will always adjust pocket money up if we don't get it about right from the off.

KenBran Fri 11-Oct-13 09:40:06

Oh, and thanks for travle insurance tip - yes, of course. Also, we'll be responsible for making she she returs home safely if things don't work out. Do people generally have written agreements? Sounds like the best things to do.

In UK au-pairs (or live in childcare help) rates vary very much and are not subject to NMW however at least £80 a week seems to be offered for 15-20hrs work a week plus all living costs.

What is she expecting to earn, have you asked her?

From what you say she will be doing a max of 15hrs a week in reality is that all you need or is it worth having her contracted to do 20-25hrs so she can do maybe some household tasks like childrens washing etc (although suspect you may have a housekeeper?) - also better to have more hrs contracted and her feel happy she is getting extra time off than you always asking her to do extra and her feeling obliged to do so.

So why not offer £100 a week for a 20hr week (you have to also remember you are only giving her one full day off can you manage without her doing one of the other days so she gets 2 full days off)

Artandco Fri 11-Oct-13 13:07:31

In euros I would say €120 ish approx maybe more. Yes re reading the say morning may be off putting as many obviously want to go out late the fri night, so slightly higher to soften the blow!

Also think about costs in area. For example how much would a coffee out cost? Or museum entry? Is this more/ less or average with London? This should help you work out what is a fair amount to pay

ForrinForrinerFromForrinLand Fri 11-Oct-13 13:14:26

£80 pounds a week is a lot of money in Kenya. Around two months salary. But obviously i would imagine it would be better to offer her the going rate in London.

Artandco Fri 11-Oct-13 13:27:57

If you can I would match London rates. She is only there 6 months so the job would be attractive if she can afford language lessons/ to save a little/ to explore area etc etc

( in comparison as a maternity nanny in Nairobi a few years ago I was on £260 per 24/hr for twins- so London rates)

KenBran Sun 13-Oct-13 18:18:29

Thanks to all of you. Really helpful. Wish us luck!

nannyafrica Sun 13-Oct-13 20:13:27

Jambo
I wish I was your Au pair I would do it for free!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now