Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies - is this a terrible idea...?

(9 Posts)
Hadeda Tue 08-Oct-13 21:24:29

Our long standing nanny is on maternity leave but does plan to come back. My DDs are very fond of her and we keep in touch. We have a maternity cover nanny, who knows it's a mat cover job and knows about the long standing nanny as the DDs talk about her. Mat cover nanny has a DC (age 2) who comes with her to work.

We have a children's party every year for Halloween. The DDs want to invite old nanny and her baby to the party. We even bought the baby a little Halloween outfit in Sainsbury's.

I could do with the new nanny being around on the day of the party while I set up. If new nanny and her DC are around while I set up, it feels incredibly mean to send them home before the party.

So I'm thinking of inviting both new nanny and old nanny and their respective DCs. There will be a fair few other children and parents there too. Both nannies would be there in their capacity as "mum of X" and not expected to work.

As a nanny, does this sound ok or like a recipe for disaster? I have no reason to believe they wouldn't get on - they are both very pleasant, reasonable people. But I can see the dynamics could be weird...

grabaspoon Tue 08-Oct-13 21:26:03

Would have no problem with this

BlingLoving Tue 08-Oct-13 21:28:10

You are over thinking. Both of these women are women with children in your life. Neither one of them is competing with the other and both care about you and your family.

Invite them both and assume they will be normal adults and make small talk. grin

Victoria2002 Tue 08-Oct-13 21:44:58

It's quite usual to meet the new & previous nannies of your charges as you keep in touch, (often during working hours) with the kids, so you usually get to know the "other" nanny. Yes, you are over-thinking!

valiumredhead Tue 08-Oct-13 22:23:21

Sounds nice and perfectly normal. I'm good friends with a nanny who took over from me in a previous job.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 09-Oct-13 07:04:21

Sounds normal and most nannies meet the previous /new one

Lady who took over from me wanted to meet me and I wanted to know who was going to look after my kiddiwinks grin

And we are good friends now and see each other every few months

Have a lovely party smile

Hadeda Wed 09-Oct-13 07:40:10

Thanks all! I probably am over thinking. I was just imagining the DDs jumping all over old nanny (esp as she has an amazing new toy, the baby) and new nanny feeling "second best". I will get on with my invitations!

NannyLA Thu 10-Oct-13 15:10:02

Yes, I agree with others re not a problem at all. I regularly meet up with ex charges and their nanny ( my replacement) at their Birthday parties etc.. We all get along fine and she also understands that the children are very fond of me as I was with the family for 5 years. Hope it all goes well.

Ihatepeas Fri 11-Oct-13 20:20:14

Not a prob.. Sounds lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now