Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Some advice please (cm asking)

(7 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Tue 08-Oct-13 11:31:55

Good morning.

Childminders tell me about your fees. If you are on holiday? parents are on holiday? occasional day off by yourself and by your parents?

How you plan for settings with babies, under school age children and school age children, your tips on how to plan without using lots of paper and how you meet the needs of the various age groups.

Thanks in advance.

Maryann1975 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:12:50

My fees, if I am on holiday or am ill or take a day off for any reason, I don't charge. If the parents choose not to send their child due to holiday or their occasional day off or if the child is ill I charge the full amount.

MUM2BLESS Tue 08-Oct-13 12:32:03

thanks Maryann1975. is that what most childminders are charging? Still trying to decide what I want to do.

I welcome further advice, thanks everyone!!!

NewCM2012 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:46:14

I do half pay for either taking time off but don't take the mick by taking lots of time off.

I have a 1yo and 3yo and only my own DD after school so we normally do activities in the morning while she's in school e.g. soft play, song time at library.

Each child has a daily diary for parents to read and a folder for observations and planning that I send home every few months.

hope this helps
L

HSMMaCM Tue 08-Oct-13 16:40:29

Parents pay all inclusive fees when I'm available and don't pay if I'm not. (There is no normal here, we are all different).

Plans with obs, stored on laptop and emailed to parents once a term (unless they ask to see them in between).

DIYapprentice Wed 09-Oct-13 12:54:07

My 2 past CMs:

CM1 - didn't charge for her holidays or time off (including when her DC were ill) but would pro-rata her holidays so that I paid all year round.

Charged for all of my days off.

Initially wanted to charge for bank holidays, but I pointed out that I moved to a Monday at HER request and wasn't willing to foot the bill for EVERY bank holiday when I only used her once a week - so we agreed a pro-rata rate, so I paid a 1/5th of the rate on bank holidays. (Something to think about if you have a lot of part time children)

Did charge full rate for when DS1 was at nursery, but as he had a funded place that was fine.

Meals included, nappies not included.

CM2 - didn't charge for her holidays, time off or bank holidays (but we never had any on our days anyway).

Charged for my days off, but was term time only so that only happened with illnesses.

Charged just over 1/2 the rate for DS2's hours at nursery, but as he was her only charge during the day (which is what she wanted) she was able to do her own things, but just stayed local for that time. Also did that for DS2's after school club.

Meals included, nappies not included.

With regards to charging for your time off, unless you set a limit on it (5 days sick, 4 weeks holiday) I really don't think it's fair and would flatly refuse to sign a contract that had no limit.

Bank holidays - as I said above, as a parent seemed highly unfair when I was only using 1 day a week.

As a parent I think in all honesty you should work out what you want as your pay rate, and then add on 4 weeks holiday, bank holidays, and maybe 5 days sick leave and then rework the hourly rate to include them. Set aside a separate bank account, and put a portion of that money away into the account to cover your holidays etc. Because if you pro-rata then depending on start/finish dates someone will always be out of pocket.

MUM2BLESS Thu 10-Oct-13 21:43:10

Thank you so much everyone. Its amazing how cm differ in what they do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now