This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Will I find someone to do this??

(20 Posts)
Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 15:26:22

Come to my house 7am - 9am term time only, feed DS(4) breakfast, do some cleaning/ laundry, take DS to school 10mins away??

I was thinking £100p/w. Do I need to think about tax or could somebody do this on a self-employed basis like a cleaner?

Where would I advertise? I'm thinking it might suit an older person who probably wouldn't read gumtree etc!

FlorenceMattell Sat 05-Oct-13 16:06:43

Childcare UK or local paper.
Nannys cannot be self employed unless it is a temporary position. Two hours per day five days per week, so your £100 per week is £10 per hour.
So gross pay. Average gross pay for a nanny is £10 to £12 per hour.
Why don't you use a childminder instead and get a cleaner?

Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 16:10:22

There are no childminders near my DS's school that will start at 7am.

I wasn't really thinking of a nanny beacause I don't think I would find one that would just do 2hrs a day, term time only.

Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 16:11:53

It's a 10min drive to the school btw, not walking.

themonsteratemyspacebar Sat 05-Oct-13 16:32:27

I would do something like that. I am a student doing a degree in child studies and would be handy to have some extra money, experience on the job and short hours so i can still study and be in college when needed.
Have you thought of getting in touch with local colleges/unis to see if there are any students willing to help?

Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 16:43:30

That's encouraging monster. If the job appeals to you I expect it would appeal to others. (Not near Bracknell are you grin)

Maybe I could advertise at the local college.

eeyore12 Sat 05-Oct-13 16:55:46

May also find someone who works at a pre school or after school club, so would be called a nanny as caring for your child in your home. Not all nannies work all day every day. I only do 3-7 4 days a week as have my own little boy so I have most of the day with him and then we go to work in the afternoons.

themonsteratemyspacebar Sat 05-Oct-13 16:59:56

Aww darn it. Unfortunately not sad
But it would make perfect sense to me as its a win-win in every situation i can think of, for both the student & yourself!
Good luck with finding someone. If you ever feel the need to move up to Lancashire then let me know and i will gladly help you grin

Cindy34 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:07:55

Hard enough getting reluctant children to eat breakfast, get dressed, get to school without also doing cleaning at the same time.

Sticking a wash load on is not that hard but it may not be finished by the time they need to leave. So you then have wet washing sitting in the machine until you get home.

Consider what can be done during the time, especially if your DS becomes reluctant to get read in the mornings (in my experience many children do go through a phase of not wanting to go to school - especially in reception class as the initial novelty wears off).

Could well suit a student. Usual rules about employing someone would apply, so if it was their only income no need to register as employer but if they had other income it would be their 2nd or more job. A nanny payroll company could advise you on what the minimum that would be needed to be done in such a case that it was not the persons only job.

ImperialBlether Sat 05-Oct-13 19:12:39

I used to pay two sixth form students to pick up my children from school three nights a week and bring them home and cook them some dinner. (The pay was for one person but they wanted to share.) I don't think it would work in your case because you need someone who doesn't have anything to do at 9 am.

I'm sure you'd be able to get an older woman who's perhaps taken early retirement to do this. I would certainly do it in that situation.

Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 20:27:14

True Cindy. I would be happy with just the child care TBH, but a wipe over of the kitchen surfaces would be a bonus.

ModeratelyObvious Sat 05-Oct-13 21:01:51

7am is very early. Is there any preschool club at your school?

Inclusionist Sat 05-Oct-13 22:42:38

There is a breakfast club at DS's school from 7.30am and childminders that take children from 7.30am. However, we live in the commuter belt where traffic is dreadful by 7.30am. I need to be at work by 8am.

The 7.30am childcare options would give me a radius of about 5-10 miles that I could work from DS's school which is obviously fairly career limiting!

For example, there is a job up at the moment that I would love that is 15miles from DS's school. This journey would take an hour leaving DS's school at 7.35am. Arriving at 8.35 would be a deal breaker.

ModeratelyObvious Sat 05-Oct-13 22:52:38

Are there any other parents using the breakfast club that you could pay to have DS for half an hour beforehand?

Inclusionist Sun 06-Oct-13 08:44:30

I really wouldn't want to impose on someone Moderately.

Moderatelyobvious Sun 06-Oct-13 09:38:20

Sure, which is why I suggested paying. I think it will be relatively difficult to find what you are after so if you can either pay other parents or trade favours (can you do a pick up from school? Some babysitting?) then you might get there more easily.

HandragsAndGladbags Sun 06-Oct-13 09:42:43

What about an older person? That would suit someone like my DM perfectly, and I know some of her friends do care jobs on a one to one basis for people that need it.

If you could find a Granny type figure that may work?

ImperialBlether Sun 06-Oct-13 11:49:28

You don't have a job yet, but are planning?

I think it would be much easier all round if someone came to your house. You could always ask at the school; they were the ones who suggested the sixth formers to me. They may well know someone who'd be reliable and good at the job, eg a retired TA.

Inclusionist Sun 06-Oct-13 14:36:50

I already work full time and DS does a finely balanced mix of CM and pre-school with DH and I sharing pick ups.

I am planning for next year when we will have moved house, DS starts school (in Sept obv) and I might well be looking for a job move.

I was also thinking an older person might be ideal.

MezleyM Sun 06-Oct-13 17:25:14

Try some of the local Facebook sites...Wokingham Gossip Girls answer nearly every question I ever have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now