This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nursery Age - Your opinions please

(46 Posts)
NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 13:35:29

Hello all,

I'll be quick.

At what age do you think my toddler should start nursery, if at all?

She is a sociable little sweetheart and is almost 2. She has been with a nanny for more than 6 months. The nanny lives in. The babe is bonded with the nanny. The nanny is unfortunately void of intelligence, "get-up-and-go" and imagination.

Please, your thoughts, however brief.

Many many thanks, Nick

NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 13:39:53

(just to add, we both work full time and, say, the particular nursery can be any number of days or hours per day and is small and very nice)

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 05-Oct-13 13:42:28

So, you really like your nanny then smile

hmm

Oceansurf Sat 05-Oct-13 13:43:24

My 11 month old baby has been in nursery since she was 9 months and she absolutely loves it! When I collect her, she's often sat there babbling away with the other babies, and she does so much art/playing with water/sand etc it's fab for her development.

I know some ppl are v anti nursery for babies, but this nursery is amazing. It really is home from home. 3 key women who work in the baby room and I trust all 3 of them with my baby. Indeed, one of them babysits for us as well.

I think it's very important for toddlers to be playing and mixing with other toddlers.

NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 13:53:26

The nursery, if desirable at all in these circumstances, would be for a number of mornings a week.

(I really should use the preview button!)

NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 14:21:49

@ ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee

Not really, but the babe is bonded, which is important

Oceansurf Sat 05-Oct-13 14:25:22

So she has a good 'friend' but she isn't getting taught anything?

What's the point then? hmm

Victoria2002 Sat 05-Oct-13 14:59:18

The nanny is unfortunately void of intelligence,
So how do you feel about her ability to screen "tradesmen" who knock at your door, cope if there was a fire downstairs while they were upstairs and spot the first signs of meningitis etc?!
In answer to your question, as a nanny and a mother I think kids are sent to nursery too much & too early these days, and there is no need until the year before they start full time school. At that stage it's valuable to help get them "school-ready". That is assuming they do varied trips and activities, visiting playgroups and friends houses to learn sharing and waiting your turn etc. If you decide nursery may be right for you then ask to do some settling in sessions before you commit, then you can see if she likes it. As you'll need to pay your nanny fully anyway (I assume as you both work and are looking at p/t nursery), maybe you can just help your put together a timetable of classes and activities to do with your daughter?

neolara Sat 05-Oct-13 15:00:42

At 3.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 05-Oct-13 15:45:50

I wouldn't put a child in full day nursery ever tbh. Even at 5 9am-3pm is enough, 8-6 is too long.

I think 9-12 or similar is ok from 2+ depending on the child. I don't think its necessary though. A good nanny is better than a nursery until at least 3 imo.

If you don't have a good nanny then a few hours of pre-school would probably be a good thing, but I might just get a new nanny!

WidowWadman Sat 05-Oct-13 15:50:53

Mine have started at 9 months, normally 8-6 (sometimes minus half hour depending on traffic) and I have no regrets. I'd always prefer a group setting over a nanny or childminder.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 05-Oct-13 16:23:34

Why did you employ someone lacking in intelligence, 'get up & go' and imagination?

What exactly has the woman done to make you describe her so scathingly?

Cindy34 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:13:29

Couple of mornings a week from the age of around 2 and a half. They need to be big enough to stand up to other children and be confident enough to leave whomever is dropping them off at nursery.

Contact local pre-schools and see what age they take children from, some may not accept them until nearly age 3, some may accept once aged 3.

I would avoid big all day nurseries. Small community pre-school is probably a good choice as then your daughter is meeting other children in the local community who may also only be attending a few sessions per week and thus your daughter can meet up with friends they make at pre-school on days that they do not attend.

ringaringarosy Sat 05-Oct-13 19:23:38

It depends on so many different things,in your situation i dont think she would be missing out on much if she went a few mornings a week.

Mine didnt go at all,but i had 3 very close together so they had each other to play with,plus im a sahm and i took them to farms,parks libraries when i could.

grabaspoon Sat 05-Oct-13 19:32:43

The nanny is unfortunately void of intelligence, "get-up-and-go" and imagination.

Will you tell her that in her appraisal? Why exactly did you hire her?

ChasedByBees Sat 05-Oct-13 19:40:00

My DD is nearly two and has been going to nursery two days a week since she was one. She loves it and teaches us songs she's learnt and brings home paintings and things from easy play that we really don't do at home.

If she's bonded with your nanny though, isn't she better with them? (Despite his/her lack of intelligence, get up and go and imagination of course... hmm

IrisWildthyme Sat 05-Oct-13 19:51:59

We used nursery very happily from 12 months.

I wouldn't have left a child for so much as a single day with someone void of intelligence, "get-up-and-go" and imagination and our nursery was full of lovely staff who each had at least 2 out of the 3!

If your baby is bonded with the nanny, then separating them is going to be painful whenever it happens. You aren't going to make it less painful by postponing it. If she's not the right kind of childcare for your child then making a change sooner rather than later is surely for the best.

ReetPetit Sat 05-Oct-13 21:35:40

2.5yrs is fine for short days - either 5 half sessions or 2-3 school days max - would never put my child in childcare for 8-6 5 days a week as some people do.

NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 23:25:01

I appreciate all comments, I can't say I agree with you all but for the sake neutrality, I am keeping my opinions, theories etc silent - for now!

Love you all - more please !

NickaDad Sat 05-Oct-13 23:26:21

@ grabaspoon - wasn't my decision sad

My DD has been at nursery since she was 6 months and loves it. She has thrived as a result of the imaginative activities and social opportunities. However I think it depends on the nursery - my DD's nursery is excellent.

Victoria2002 Sun 06-Oct-13 09:17:21

I gotta add that I am one of several nannies I know that worked in daycare and walked away from it saying "I NEVER want any child of mine to go to daycare"! I do appreciate that a few mornings a week at a nursery school is quite different though.

jasminerose Sun 06-Oct-13 09:18:58

I think nursery is fine at any age.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 06-Oct-13 13:51:09

Me too Victoria, most of the nannies I know started in nurseries and none of them would send their child to one, me included.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 06-Oct-13 13:58:23

OH gosh, well, we'll all just wait with baited breath then

hmm

Your child = your decision. If you chose to opt out of that, you only have yourself to blame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now