This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare versus nanny costs

(8 Posts)
Flomo19 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:36:59

Hello I as hoping for some advice on typical Childcare and nanny fees in London. I'm looking for someone to care for my two children one 9 months and one 4 years who has started school. Does anyone have an idea how the costs compare? I've heard 65 per day for a childminder is typical plus about 7 per hour for the additional child out of school hours. Does this sound right? Any guidance on typical nanny costs would also be very welcome! thanks in advance x

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 03-Oct-13 13:04:54

A nanny in London is about £11-13ph, depending on qualifications/experience, plus employers NI. Also factor in food costs, utilities, kitty money etc. Some or all of this will be included in a childminder's rates, check to see exactly what you're getting.

A nanny-share could work well for you, you'd then be looking at £6-8ph.

ARoundSoundLikeGround Fri 04-Oct-13 15:42:15

Nannys are normally cheaper if there are two children or more - the level of care you get can also be significantly better.

ModeratelyObvious Sat 05-Oct-13 10:42:17

Bear in mind the childminder will need to already be picking up from your school. Is this for now you need someone?

katieg101 Fri 11-Oct-13 21:45:04

Help!! I need some advice. I have a 3 year old daughter and want to go back to work in Jan 2014 and it seems my last company will hire me again so that's one weight off my mind.

However, I'm stressing about the childcare issue. No idea where to start. As she has various activities in the week, I'm reluctant to send her to a childminder as they probably won't ferry her back and forward, so I'm thinking a nanny is the best option. This would also surely be best for school holidays? My daughter is at private school so could do 7.45 - 3pm 4 or 5 days a week. What I'm confused about is:
a) Can I hire someone to nanny during school term only from eg. 2-7.30pm then holidays from eg. 8-7?
b) How much do you pay a nanny? (we live in essex, near london).
c) Can you pay a nanny a fixed monthly salary to cover short hours in term time, then longer hours in holidays?
d) Could I hire an au pair? are they qualified to look after 3 year olds? How much would they cost?
e) What websites can I advertise my job on?
f) What rates do nannies charge?
g) How long should I leave myself to find someone?

I'm sorry for all the questions but your help would be much appreciated!

Thank you xx

Parietal Fri 11-Oct-13 21:51:54

look at childcare.co.uk to advertise. you might be able to get the term / holiday hours you want, but it will be harder to find someone good.

nannyshare.co.uk and nannytax.co.uk both have advice pages that would answer lots of KatieG's questions.

katieg101 Fri 11-Oct-13 23:17:37

Thank you so much x

NomDeClavier Sat 12-Oct-13 09:52:23

a) Can I hire someone to nanny during school term only from eg. 2-7.30pm then holidays from eg. 8-7?

Yes. You're more likely to up your chances if you have a nanny with their own child as they won't mind mornings free in term time.

b) How much do you pay a nanny? (we live in essex, near london).

£10gross is a reasonable estimate (plus the employer's NI on top). A nanny with own child may accept £8 or 9.

c) Can you pay a nanny a fixed monthly salary to cover short hours in term time, then longer hours in holidays?

Yes as long as you're aware it will make things complicated if they leave half way through the year.

d) Could I hire an au pair? are they qualified to look after 3 year olds? How much would they cost?

You could, depending on the au pair. Do you have space for someone to live with you and are you happy with that?

e) What websites can I advertise my job on?

In addition to the above gumtree, MN local, nannyjob.co.uk

f) What rates do nannies charge?

It's not about what they charge, it's about the salary you offer. See above for what would be reasonable.

g) How long should I leave myself to find someone?

The market is quite good at the moment but I'd still leave 6 weeks to allow for someone to work a notice period.

www.bapn.org.uk should also have some guidance which would be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now