This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair, own room or sharing with child?

(40 Posts)
Farala Thu 03-Oct-13 00:10:06

We live in a tiny flat in central London, with only two rooms (one bedroom and one living room which we use as second bedroom). For now it's just me and DD, but we want to bring an au pair and don't know what would work best, if to give her my room or to put her in DD's bedroom (in another single bed). Whatever the case, one of us would have to sleep with DD. Thoughts?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 03-Oct-13 18:41:23

Why doesn't dd want to go to after school club

Give her the option of a bedroom to herself and after school club or

Share a bedroom/living room with you and has someone at home ie ap

Or look at childminders - that seems best of both worlds

Own space at home and not after schook club

YouHaveAGoodPoint Thu 03-Oct-13 18:32:48

I agree that it doesn't sound feasible. I don't see how bedtimes would work.

Unexpected Thu 03-Oct-13 16:36:42

This doesn't sound feasible at all unfortunately. What time will your dd go to bed? What will you do after that if you are in the living room which is now her/your bedroom? How can you watch tv, talk on the phone, do the ironing? And what will the aupair do? Will she be able to access her bedroom without going through your living room or go to the kitchen to make a coffee?

While the aupair may say she is happy with the arrangment now, it is easy for her to gloss over the practicalities in the exctement of living in central London. The reality when she is here may be far different.

FreckledLeopard Thu 03-Oct-13 13:11:31

We had the same situation when we lived in London. Only had two bedrooms. I moved into DD's room with her and the au pair had my room (with ensuite).

I think the general rule is that an au pair must have their own room.

hettienne Thu 03-Oct-13 13:09:14

Doesn't sound like you have room for an au pair to be honest.

If you do get one though, she needs her own room and you will have to share with your DD.

blueshoes Thu 03-Oct-13 13:07:36

Just get someone from the EU (save for Bulgaria/Romania - until the end of the year - and Croatia) and you don't have to worry about visas. There are so many European girls wanting to work in London you will be spoilt for choice.

Nobody I know hires an aupair using an aupair visa. That is a thing of the past now that demand from aupairs outstrips supply of host families, particularly in London, and employers have their pick of EU candidates with no such restrictions.

Whether you call her live-out aupair or unskilled nanny or mother's help is just semantics. You are free to agree whatever arrangement with her within the framework of employment laws. If she is live-out, the minimum wage applies but market forces dictate you will be likely to pay more for her to live-out than a live-in anyway because she bears the cost of food and board, even if she were an unskilled childcarer.

Artandco Thu 03-Oct-13 13:05:29

Farala- childminders aren't usually as much as £10 per hr even in central London. I live in zone 1 and most are £6.50-£8.50 an hour, but usually have a reduce rate for say before or after school. Ie 3-6 would be £25.50 at £8.50 an hour, but they will charge £20 for that after school duration. If only £6.50 then maybe £15 for 3-6pm.
They are usually very good value IMO and many will cook dinner for children and help with homework saving you time in the evenings.
£25 per day x5 would be £125. Probably cheaper than au pair by the time you pay say £90 p week, £20 for bus oyster to ferry child around, £20 for extra food/ electricity etc etc

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 03-Oct-13 12:59:04

Is there anyway you can move further out to get a bigger place? I don't think 3 of you living in 2 rooms is really ideal long term.

Childminder rates vary, but I guess could be £8-10ph in central London. I'm in West London and they're about £5-7ph I think.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 03-Oct-13 12:57:03

I don't think AP arrangement is what you need but if you do go ahead with it then she should absolutely have her own room. In France they need to have their own bathroom too. They are absolutely entitled to to their privacy.

Farala Thu 03-Oct-13 12:51:04

Yup at the moment is only me and DD. With the AP there'd b 3 of us.

Agree the situation is far from ideal, but my flat is already really expensive, can't afford to move anywhere bigger for now. Also, I'm just going to start working again so I'm no exactly £££ hmm

After school club is crap. DD begged me not to send her there.

I am not familiar with childminders, dont know where to look for one, plus they seem really expensive (£10/hour?)

A nanny isn't always qualified, many aren't, I'm not. The 'au pair' you know isn't an au pair. The point of one is that they live in. As somebody else said, her employers are breaking the law if they are not paying her NMW as by living in it makes them exempt, not living out.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 03-Oct-13 11:51:08

whatname are you saying she is here on an au pair visa, but isn't keeping to the terms of her visa?

Where is she from? Chances are she's European and not here 'as an au pair' at all.

There is no requirement for nannies to be qualified, although the majority are.

Artandco Thu 03-Oct-13 11:08:02

A nanny can be inexperienced and unqualified if someone will hire them

whatnameshallibetoday Thu 03-Oct-13 11:05:33

but a nanny is qualified anyway its nothing to do with me was just saying is all

Artandco Thu 03-Oct-13 11:00:24

What name - a nanny doesn't live in or want to live in but still gets around £13 gross per hour in London

Op- are you saying that you have no other rooms once you and dd are in one and au pair in another? Ie no living room etc. Where is the au pair supposed to entertain child after school? I think you should look into before and after school care tbh as doesn't sound like you have space.

whatnameshallibetoday Thu 03-Oct-13 10:42:47

she is here as an au pair, I think its an unofficial arrangement, they dont need her in night and she doesnt want to be there, so it works for both of them

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 03-Oct-13 10:15:23

Au Pair absolutely needs her own room.

Could you not use breakfast/after school club? or a childminder? It doesn't sound like great living conditions for any of you.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 03-Oct-13 10:13:02

whatname she's either not living with the boyfriend (staying there, but not officially living there) or she's not an au pair. If you live-out you are not an au pair. Babysitter, mother's help, cleaner, PA maybe, not an au pair. If they're paying her 'pocket money' and not providing room and board they're breaking the law. If she lives out they're required to pay the minimum wage.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 03-Oct-13 10:00:24

Ap HAS to have her own room

You share with dd

HSMMaCM Thu 03-Oct-13 08:11:51

What hours will she be working in the school holidays?

BlackberrySeason Thu 03-Oct-13 07:41:09

Put her in the spare room and you share with dd - an ap needs her own room. Our ap works 35 hours for £90 per week.

There are far more ap applicants than ap host families at the moment so you stand a very good chance of getting someone.

London is a great draw.

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Thu 03-Oct-13 07:20:05

She should have your room and you should share with DD.

Jaynebxl Thu 03-Oct-13 06:56:46

Not sure it is 4 people Robots. Think it is the Op, her dd and the au pair.

LittleRobots Thu 03-Oct-13 06:39:56

I can't quite see how you could fit 4 of you go two rooms. During the day, when she plays with your child she'd effectively be in your room? If she stays up watching tv in the sitting soon you can't go to bed? You won't have any private space at all away from her will you? Part of it is that they're to share the family experience.

We have a small house and have ruled an au pair out. It does seem as ever if you have money you can save money!

Cindy34 Thu 03-Oct-13 06:32:14

Even if this aupair is happy to share with your child, the next aupair may not be.

A live out unqualified nanny in London, 35 hours per week could easily be £250 a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now