This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder in Guildford to look after a baby fulltime

(9 Posts)
pen2bk Wed 02-Oct-13 17:04:09

Hi,
I am also considering a nanny share, but I posted on this under a separate thread.
We live in QEP, on the north side of Guildford. I will go back to work full-time (initially a phased return, 4 days a week for a few months) after spring 2014. My baby will be 10 to 12 months old depending when I go back (April to July 2014). Unfortunately all good nurseries are on the other side of town and I am concerned about the childminder option due to the potential of toddlers being boisterous towards babies and as many as 6 children being in the same house at a time at different ages. Open to hear your opinions on this.
I have been looking for a childminder who would mind 2-3 children max (mostly younger ones) but couldn't meet any yet. Spending my time going to baby and toddler groups but the search is tough and I started to find it stressfull. My baby doesn't enjoy these groups yet and I feel as if I am rushing around all the time instead of enjoying the early days with my baby.
Any help and advice will be appreciated. If you are the sort of childminder/nanny I am after, please get in touch.
Thanks for reading.
Kind Regards,
pen2bk

ModeratelyObvious Fri 04-Oct-13 14:41:53

Have you requested a list of childminders for your postcode from Surrey Family Information Services? Also your local sure start may have lists.

ModeratelyObvious Fri 04-Oct-13 14:44:26

Childminders can't look after more than 3 children under five www.pacey.org.uk/childminders/become_a_childminder/childminding_ratios/ratios_in_england.aspx

ModeratelyObvious Fri 04-Oct-13 14:45:03

link

So there would only be two toddlers and your baby, max.

HSMMaCM Fri 04-Oct-13 15:14:51

But 6 if she has 3 school children before and after school and in the holidays

ModeratelyObvious Fri 04-Oct-13 17:07:50

Sorry, yes - but OP seemed extra worried about toddlers!

busyDays Fri 04-Oct-13 19:59:36

You may struggle to find a childminder with only 2-3 children in total because most of us have children of our own. For example, I have two of my own children, one is at school and the other is preschool age. I also look after one baby and one toddler, both fulltime. So I have 4 in total but most of my childminder friends have more than me. Also, there is no guarantee that a childminder who only has a few now won't take on more in the future.

Over the years I have often had different combinations of a baby plus two toddlers and have never found this to be a problem. Most toddlers are not that interested in babies and tend to get on with their own games. Plus I obviously supervise them closely. smile

Karoleann Sat 05-Oct-13 13:59:31

Are you hoping to find the ideal childminder at a toddler group? You'd be better off just calling some when your baby is asleep.
You can also look on childcare.co.uk - lots of childminders seem to be on that - you can look through people's profiles and see if any of them are advertising only a few mindees as their USP.
Babies don't enjoy toddler groups til they're much older - baby sensory is a lovely class for non-moving babies.
You're probably better off if you can find a nanny share.

mummytime Sat 05-Oct-13 14:14:01

I didn't use it but several friends highly recommend Sure Start if you can get your baby in.
I assume you looked at KidsInc and didn't like it?

Have you looked at Noah's Ark? I loved the location of this one, but its far more practical for you.

Do remember Babies don't stay babies very long, so it won't be very long at all before your LO needs more, or is even a lively toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now