This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny abusing children - DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE

(58 Posts)
Mummyneedshelp1 Mon 30-Sep-13 23:35:32

My eldest 9 year old child has just revealed our nanny has been mistreating her - smacking on legs and face and threatening to get her in trouble if she reveals anything.

She went on to say she did the same thing with her baby sister (18 months) Perhaps even treating her worse - ignoring the baby when she falls and hurts herself, shouting at her, smacking her thigh. Apparently the nanny even threw a ball at the baby and when it hit her head which hurt her and made her cry the nanny just put the volume up on the TV so the crying didn't disturb her TV watching.

It seems the nanny behaves in a completely different way when I and my husband are not around.

As you can imagine, this news is most distressing. Made worse by the fact I could see the baby changed towards the nanny. Wouldn't want to go to her, would suddenly stand still staring away from her in her presence, clinging on to me if I would pass her to the nanny.

I dread to think what the nanny could have done to the baby when my eldest daughter isn't around.

Needless to say the nanny is gone - on our next meeting I will be firing her evil butt without pay.

My question is how can she be disciplined for such poor and potentially illegal actions?

Though she smacked my children, she did not leave any marks. We also have no proof, no video.... It will just be my daughters word against the nanny's.

As a Filipina, I also don't think she is registered with Ofsted nor has any records for CRB.

However - I am aware she has just been legally made a British citizen. I don't know if there is anything I can do about that.

Also I have details of a family she still babysits for - I don't know if it might be worth finding out how the nanny behaves with them and perhaps warning them about her.

Yes - I am angry, fuming even about this revelation. But more than that, I actually would like to protect other families and other children from going through this experience. There must be some way other parents can be warned and make sure she never works with children again.

I haven't let the nanny know I know yet - I want to handle this as delicately and wisely as possible. The baby is with grand father and I am always around when she is with my daughter - when she behaves well.

Pls forgive the length of this post. It has all been quite frightful really

sad sad sad

Llareggub Mon 07-Oct-13 20:56:42

If you do come back, OP, please do ensure that you report the nanny to the ISA to ensure that she does not work with children again. If you google you'll find it.

K8Middleton Mon 07-Oct-13 21:06:11

I agree with ChippingIn. Total bollox.

Although I did employ a nanny with no crb check. She had good references and we were the second family of a share where she had been employed for 3.5 years previously. A crb isn't a magic talisman. It's just a check that nothing has been reported - not confirmation the nanny's ok. She wasn't OFSTED registered either. Most nannies aren't unless employer wants to use childcare vouchers ime.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 07-Oct-13 22:37:56

i hope not chipping sad

Wendy555 Mon 14-Oct-13 16:30:28

Firstly praise your daughter for being able to share the information with you. Let her know that she was brave and she did the right thing. Secondly let your daughter know that you will need to tell the police so that the nanny cannot hurt other children and explain to her that the police will want to ask her about what happened to her,continue to reassure her. Call the police and inform them or you can ring Victim Support or any of the recommended agencies mentioned above for advice.What your children have experienced is physical abuse and emotinal All the best.
Wendy

Annie2012 Wed 29-Jan-14 22:23:18

Would i be wrong to assume you only had this woman as you were able to pay her low wages, ALWAYS hire someone with qualifications and a crb! We are not expensive! I personally earn 7.50ph and I'm a modern day Mary poppins! I am amazing at my job and do anything in my power to keep children in my care happy, healthy and loved and keep parents happy. Well worth paying more for that!!

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 30-Jan-14 00:34:37

This is an old thread.

Pinkandwhite Thu 30-Jan-14 00:45:43

Bloody hell, this is just awful. I'm so sorry this has happened to your children/you. Obviously go to the police and social services. I would also recommend contacting all your local nanny agencies to warn them so that they don't use her - nanny agencies tend to have lists of nannies they have been warned about.

Pinkandwhite Thu 30-Jan-14 00:46:38

Sorry - didnt realise this was old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now