This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I broke my own rules regarding going upstairs!

(12 Posts)
Saltire Mon 30-Sep-13 10:31:08

I have 2 mindees who come to me 2 afternoons a week after school.
Mindees aren't allowed upstairs. The other mindees know this and never ask.

The older child is a boy. He asked DS2 ages ago (before he started coming to me) if he could look at all DSes Lego (he has Hobbits sets, Harry Potter sets etc all made up)

DS2 said yes, when my mum starts childminding you then you can come upstairs and have a look.
First day, as soon as we were in the door he started asking to go. I said, "no not until DS2 gets home and gets changed etc"

He then refused to do anything, he sat on a dining chair until DS2 said he could go and have a look.

That was 3 weeks ago. Now he pesters DS2 and I constantly wanting DS2 to bring his Lego sets downstairs, or asking if he can go and play with DS2, etc.

I said "no that was a one off so you could look seeing as you like Lego so much"

I have Lego for mindees but he doesn't want to play with it as it's "boring" i.e its Lego city not star wars death stars or Hogwarts.

I guess I am really just looking for some inspiration/ideas to get him away from the mindset of hassling DS2 and I and wanting to go upstairs and doing something different with other mindees
If we go to the park, which we do a lot when the weather is good, then he won't join in just sits there saying he wants to go back to my house. I have mentioned it to his mum and she was a bit "hmm, well you let him look at it and now he wants to play with it" sort of attitude

FannyFifer Mon 30-Sep-13 10:35:34

He sounds a bit of a grump, but it's a bit of a shame that he saw the Lego & is now not allowed to play with it.

Is he friends with your son?

Saltire Mon 30-Sep-13 10:42:15

No he is much younger than my son, he is 8.. DS2 is almost 14, he collects the lego sets and doesn't play with them, just builds them up and puts them on his shelves.

The child knew when he went to look at them that they don't get played with.

FannyFifer Mon 30-Sep-13 10:55:48

Ah so it's display Lego?

Not a chance then.

Don't know how you will stop him moaning about if though, tell him to ask Santa to bring him some. wink

Saltire Mon 30-Sep-13 11:07:57

Its my own fault for breaking my own rules but I know he loves lego and ds2 thought he would enjoy looking at it.

Norudeshitrequired Mon 30-Sep-13 11:10:18

Get your DS to out the Lego away for a couple of weeks and just tell the mindee that it has been sold / gone elsewhere.

Poledra Mon 30-Sep-13 11:21:39

He's 8 - he's well old enough to understand it! My youngest DD (5 yo) is best friends with my CM's daughter (also 5), and both children understand that going upstairs is only for special occasions or when she goes round to play outside of CM's hours. And also that the toys upstairs are the DD's toys and not for generally play during minding hours.

I'd let him sulk, TBH, but then I'm not the one facing the sulky face every day.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 30-Sep-13 11:52:24

I'd so the same as with the child who always wants to make something, 'I've told you no. I don't want you to ask me again'. Firmly. Then let him sulk.

HSMMaCM Mon 30-Sep-13 11:59:38

I've done that before and then kicked myself, because I've been pestered to do it again. As others have said, he's old enough to understand "No".

doughnut44 Mon 30-Sep-13 14:23:37

I used to mind a little one who wanted to see my sons birthday presents. They were both 4. I explained that he could but they were my sons own toys and couldn't be brought down. The child never stopped asking for one particular toy. I explained that he has toys at his house that he does not share with my son and my son has toys that he doesn't have to share.
The mum was so unhappy with me but hey ho. kids can't have everything they want

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 01-Oct-13 11:33:33

He's old enough to understand. Let him sulk.

At 8 he's old enough to understand. In future your DS should keep his fab display collection quiet. If they don't go upstairs they don't need to know about it!

I'd maybe look at getting some older style themed lego sets when it's on offer though for the mindees. I know it's expensive as my DS is Lego mad but I've often got it at 50%-75% off at Boots or Debenhams. I don't think many people think to look in these shops for lego and the prices in the sales are usually very good.

The fact he won't engage what so ever in play is rather stubborn of him. Is his only interest Lego? What does he enjoy doing at home? If his parents take him to the park does he play? He must be quite stubborn to go to a park and refuse to have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now