Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What's the etiquette for this?

(30 Posts)
NannyMcphee12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:16:11

Am currently job hunting so lots of interviews for nanny positions

Would you offer drink to the nanny your interviewing?

I've found some do, quite a lot don't

eeyore12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:35:45

Most offer me tea, coffee, water etc nothing stronger! Not sure if you meant a drink in general or something alcoholic. If the children are around then they tend not to offer anything but if just the parents then yes they offer esp in the evenings.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 26-Sep-13 17:37:15

I would offer tea, coffee, squash.

I wouldn't ever offer alcohol during a job interview, regardless of time of day. It would be weird.

NannyMcphee12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:46:51

By drink I mean your normal tea, coffee, water, squash

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 26-Sep-13 17:48:43

Yes then, surely that's normal?

superzero Thu 26-Sep-13 17:51:10

Yes I would offer a drink to a potential nanny,or to anyone else sitting and having a chat on my sofa which is how I would do the interview

NannyMcphee12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:51:35

Been to 6 interviews this week

Only 2 offered me a drink

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 26-Sep-13 17:52:43

Don't work the for the other four families. Simple test of manners and consideration grin. Doesn't bode well for the future.

NannyMcphee12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:53:51

The 4 who didn't I wasn't keen on

One of the 4 sat there with a cup of tea herself and never offered!

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 26-Sep-13 17:56:55

There you go. Simple way of weeding out the bad employers.

NannyMcphee12 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:58:03

Thanks just wanted to check I wasn't expecting too much

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 26-Sep-13 18:00:34

Not in my view. It is just simple manners to offer someone a drink when they come into your home. I would do that for anyone - health visitor, plumber, man installing the new washing machine. I certainly would for a nanny who (assuming I liked her) I would want to like me.

SenoritaViva Thu 26-Sep-13 18:21:21

Definitely very rude! Especially the woman with her own tea. The only time I might make an exception is if the person just seemed flustered at having to do interviews and not thinking straight.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 26-Sep-13 18:53:00

I once got offered a dippy egg and soldiers.

I said no, but really wanted to say yes. I was hungry and it looked good. grin

Karoleann Thu 26-Sep-13 19:01:16

I've never offered a drink at a nanny interview. Neither have I at an interview I've conducted at work. I've certainly never been offered a drink at any position I've been interviewed for.
An initial interview will probably only last 20-30 minutes anyway. If you're bringing a candidate back for a second (longer interview) then I might.
But otherwise, no, I would imagine someone would be perfectly capable of ensuring they had a bottle of water with them in case they were thirsty.
Never offered a dippy egg either!

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 26-Sep-13 19:15:50

20-30 minutes? The shortest interview I've ever had has been an hour, but usually more.

callamia Thu 26-Sep-13 19:22:37

I used to do a lot of home visits for my job, and we realised that whether or not you were offered a cup of tea was a pretty good indicator of how friendly you could expect the family to be - this also works for schools...

MissStrawberry Thu 26-Sep-13 19:27:22

I think I preferred it when I wasn't offered a drink at an interview. Made it feel more official and not a social call.

marriedinwhiteisback Thu 26-Sep-13 19:32:53

Of course I'd offer a soft drink or tea or coffee. Might also pick out the super picky candidates that way wink.

I work in HR and organise and conduct a lot of interviews. I wouldn't dream of not having water and glasses available at an interview - people are speaking; they might want to clear their throat and the interviewers might have six interviews and lots of talking to do. They need water and it is plain rude not to offer it to the candidates.

Mrscupcake23 Thu 26-Sep-13 21:24:27

Isn't this basic manners.? Some one has given up their time to come and see you the least you can do is to offer a drink and some cake.

How rude some people are.

Callaird Thu 26-Sep-13 21:40:08

I have always been offered a drink when going for an interview. I would judge a prospective employer if they didn't.

I would wonder how they would feel about me helping myself if I were to work for them.

I don't drink tea or 'normal' coffee so use that to beak the ice and get chatting about us before getting started on the important stuff!!

Being a nanny is not like being any other employee, we work in their home, we look after their precious children and we generally become part of the family, I have anyway!

Karoleann Thu 26-Sep-13 23:49:49

Outraged - have you usually got most of the jobs you've been interviewed for??
It's usually obvious within a few minutes if someone is going to be right for the job or not.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 27-Sep-13 00:18:49

All but one (and they were right not to give it to me as they wanted 24/6 and I wasn't experienced enough to do it).

Maybe that's why the 8 nannies you interviewed were no good? Maybe you didn't give them enough time? I am definitely not at my best 3 minutes into an interview (what with nerves etc.). Luckily I've not come across someone who has judged me that quickly!

Novstar Fri 27-Sep-13 11:09:18

Gosh I've interviewed loads of nannies (sometimes 3 a day, 2 hours each) but can't definitively swear hand on heart that I offered a drink to each one. It's exhausting to interview and I'm sure sometimes I forget. I always pay for their transport though.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 27-Sep-13 12:30:39

You don't need to pay for their transport, but really should offer them a drink if they're talking with you for 2 hours.

Or tell them 'drinks won't be provided, bring a flask!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now