Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

i can't find any live in nannies looking for a job out there in NW London??

(33 Posts)
circle100 Wed 25-Sep-13 23:53:24

I have been advertising for 3 weeks constantly in the usual gumtree, nanny job, childcare etc emailing prospective nannies but for some reason I get no decent responses? Did all the good live in nannies ger jobs prior to September have I missed the boat? I don't get it, everyone seems interested then they just don't respond?
We are a normal easy family 3 kids at school so only 2 hours in the morning and after school needed giving good salary and v good perks???
What am I doing wrong? does no one want a job!
Thanks for advice

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 26-Sep-13 00:37:43

Do you want a nanny or an au pair? What salary are you offering?

circle100 Thu 26-Sep-13 08:27:19

I am looking for a nice nanny with usual childcare duties, just a normal job with a nice family? its strange I would have thought that there would be more response?

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 08:44:35

a lot of career live in nannies wont want jobs with all children at school

as a ) nanny will get bored
b) they worry how long job will be there for .. before family decide to get someone cheaper ie an au pair
c) they dont want to iron
d) it pays less

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 08:46:40

will you pay 350 - 400 net a week ?!
(i know nannies looking)

circle100 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:15:30

but the hours are about the same 7 hours a day x 5 days a week so the pay will be about the same for a live in?
Do nannies not prefer a bit of a break in the day than working all day straight?

would a nanny prefer babies and toddlers to 3 children in school age?
thanks

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:25:50

A live in nanny may be doing 50-60 hours a week. So your hours are quite a lot less, though you may be offering the same pay, so the lower number of hours would not be an issue.

I suppose it may be that people wonder what they would be doing during the day, would that time be their own or would the job involve a lot of housework.

Is it location? Have you included detail of nearest tube station, so people can see how far out from central London you are?

Does it have to be live-in? Maybe you would get applicants if it was live-out? Experiment with adverts, see what gets more response.

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:31:17

Does the advert include salary detail? Does the advert say it is a nanny job and stay using the word nanny - just seen an ad on Gumtree that says it is a nanny job but then in the text says nanny/mothers help.

Does the advert describe the duties, include as much info as possible. Will they need to drive a car, will a car be provided. Include the typical hours of work, days, do not leave anything for someone to assume.

Yerazig Thu 26-Sep-13 09:39:54

Do you have a link to one of the job ads that usually can help as a few of us may be able to give you some pointers where you may be going wrong.

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:51:51

Yes, a link or a cut&paste of the ad would be useful here.

Keep in mind you can change the ad quite often on many sites, so every few days rewrite it. Keep print out of ads along with list of people who applied, so you can analyse response rates and remember what you have and have not told applicants at that stage. Tackle this like a business task, create, analyse, adapt.

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 09:55:03

lots of live in nannies do 7-7 .. 12 hr days

so at 7 hrs a day..its a very short day

also if a child is taken ill at school..is the nanny responsible ?!so ie they are actually on duty aka responsible all day ?...so infact not 7 hr days

OcadoSubstitutedMyHummus Thu 26-Sep-13 09:58:51

What salary are you offering? If you're paying for 7 hours per day (presumably split morning and evening?) then it may not be attractive.

I'd suggest speaking to some agencies and see how easy they think it would be to fill your role. You don't have to hire them but would at least give you an idea as to how easy they see it to fill.

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:01:37

Good perks? What you may consider good the nanny may not.
Health club membership is often one that comes up, not everyone would use that.

4 weeks paid holiday, not a perk, it's a statutory right and statutory would actually be 5.6 weeks (once bank holidays added in). So not a perk unless holiday was a lot longer than statutory minimum, plus could be taken when the nanny wanted. With school age children, you may be limiting holiday to being during school holidays only.

Some people view things as a perk, whilst others will feel they are expected as standard. So avoid thinking of offering Good Perks. Just say what is included, the standard things and anything more unique.

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 10:03:27

when i worked a flex live in job.. with both children at school most of the time..although the youngest had some half days..i worked 30-35 hrs a week..and was paid 300 net a week..as it was temp and not London.

for yours..id expect at least 350net .. 375 if u really wanted me to stay more than 6-9 months

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 10:21:44

your gumtree ad has mothers help in it
..that puts career nannies off

you dont include salary or salary region in that ad
or your childcare.co.uk one

Artandco Thu 26-Sep-13 11:08:27

Yes if love in most expect to be doing 60 hour weeks and paid accordingly. So 35hrs is almost half ( unless you are paying a higher than average rate per hour).

Also yes most prefer babies at the beginning as starting with a baby almost guarantees at least 5 years in one place ( more if they stay full time once in school or if more siblings follow).

In an ideal nanny world they start with one family with one child, and stay on for 10-15 years as the family grows with more children and they are continually needed. Families with busy jobs ideal as the nanny knows she will be needed for years to come during school holidays/ sickness/ etc etc

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 11:25:12

greatcare.co.uk is a great site to put a private ad on as it gets emailed to literally 1000s of nannies

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 13:03:02

Iluvkids - OP has not linked to the ad have they? Though I am guessing you have spotted the same one as me on Gumtree.

iluvkids Thu 26-Sep-13 13:13:53

no..not linked yet
but ad is also on nanny job..with no salary region.

mum-bosses and dadbosses wouldnt apply for a job without a salary region.. neither will many career nannies

Cindy34 Thu 26-Sep-13 13:31:34

Quite agree. Plus is salary ever really all that negotiable, parents have a wage in mind, so why not just give the starting salary - can always increase it after probation if all is going well.

OcadoSubstitutedMyHummus Thu 26-Sep-13 16:14:43

I know people are trying to help but I always find it uncomfortable when posters look out for the ad and then post about it on here.

NomDeClavier Thu 26-Sep-13 18:45:05

People may just recognise it from the description though. I have job alerts enabled in nannyjob and I've seen this ad come through. It's sufficiently unusual for it to be recognisable.

circle100 Fri 27-Sep-13 12:48:38

thanks for the advice. maybe ill look more into a mothers help role maybe that's more what im looking for I was thinking around £280-300 a week ( after tax) I can make the hours longer I just thought I was being nice!
do you pay more for a driver even if you provide the car?

iluvkids Fri 27-Sep-13 12:59:23

you wont get a very exp career nanny in ldn for 300

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 27-Sep-13 13:24:56

The money offered is very good for the hours required. Is that in the ad?

I think the ages of the children may be a problem, most nannies want pre-schoolers.

What will you do about school holidays? Is that paid extra or do you want double the hours for the same money? Could you have a live-out NWOC instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now