This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I have seen a mum and her baby this morning but the mum is allergic to cats...

(8 Posts)
Summerfruit Mon 23-Sep-13 12:02:21

I can tell she really liked me and I really like her too. She wants childcare for her 6 month old baby. She is allergic to cats and I have 2 of them. Is her baby likely to be allergic too ? Is there anything I can do/say to re insure her ? I liked the mum and the baby so much !! They stayed for an hour and half this morning, it was like I have known her all my life !!

TwoStepsBeyond Mon 23-Sep-13 12:34:07

Presuming that when she told you she is allergic, she would have mentioned the more important fact that her baby is allergic if she had known that. Allergies are often hereditary so the baby may well be allergic too, but I'm sure after spending time at your house today they will be able to tell if the baby is ok with your cats.

If she doesn't use you for childcare perhaps she can be your new BFF instead?!

i am very very allergic to cats...i had two (one passed away last week) and are 18 years old. I take antihistamines and i just live with it....of course i wont be getting any more when the last cat goes to the great scratching post in the sky.

I am also a cm and i get what you mean by "feel like i have known her all my life!"....that is how i would say all my clients have made me feel like this....its fab!

regarding mum being allergic....one of my dads is allergic and he is fine here. i hoover alot and damp dust like a crazy fool. His little girl has shown no evidence of allergy but i keep an eye on her. TBH cats are usually not too interested in little ones....mine like to stay upstairs (the one who left us last week would sit on the stairs at going home time flicking the furry Vs at the kids and parents).

i teach all the children about being careful around the cats, washing hands after touching etc.

hope that all puts your mind at rest...maybe mum likes the fact you have an animal as they cant have one at home....just a thought

Summerfruit Mon 23-Sep-13 12:51:26

I really hope she'll go for me, I'm going to do everything to re insure her !

Maryann1975 Mon 23-Sep-13 13:04:02

Both parents of one of my mindees are heavily allergic to cats and we have a long haired cat (used to have two). Child has shown no signs and parents just live with it for the brief time they are here. If everything else is right, I expect the parents would just put up with the allergies and be quick at drop off and pick up times to avoid symptoms.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 23-Sep-13 15:43:34

I am very very allergic to cats and the odd time I work with then I take antihistamines which help a bit but I can't work with cats on a perm basi

Certainly couldn't live with a cat or someone with a cat - fraid it's then or me

There is no reason why baby should be allergic but if they were you would notice quickly and would just mean that the mum would need a new cm

HSMMaCM Mon 23-Sep-13 19:55:08

I looked after a little boys whose dad was allergic to cats. No problem with my cat.

Strix Mon 23-Sep-13 21:59:17

I am allergic to cats. DD (now 10) went to a childminder who had a cat when she was a baby/toddler. Played with the cat all day and no sign of an allergy. But now, full blown allergy just like mine. DS1 (now 8) was never really exposed to a cat until about a year ago. Also full blown allergy. DS2 is almost 3 and I haven't spotted an allergy yet, but any cat with half a brain would stay well away from him if they don't want to be microwaved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now