This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to find a local babysitter?

(9 Posts)
apotomak Sat 28-Sep-13 08:33:51

I would look on childcare.co.uk . You will find many local childminders and nannies offer babysitting.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 27-Sep-13 23:21:55

If you really don't know anyone then worth calling a local nanny agency and using them

If not then look on your local site ofmumsnet or on childcare on netmums

You can also put an ad on netmums or gumtree

Others use sitters but often don't get to meet the sitter and could be different ones each time

PoppyWearer Fri 27-Sep-13 22:59:30

Do/does your DC(s) attend some kind of childcare - nursery, preschool, crèche?

Many childcare professionals can and will do babysitting in the evenings. Hopefully that way you can find someone who already knows your child.

Even if they don't know them, if a problem arises they will have some ideas and experience of what to do.

I once used an agency babysitter at a hotel who was basically a mum of (as she admitted) a very easy child and when my DC woke repeatedly she was clueless, and had to call me to leave dinner early. Another time we used an agency babysitter who was a grandma and likewise I got the call to return early.

Whereas a childless nursery worker I used after that was much better and eventually got DC1 back to sleep without needing to call me.

NoComet Fri 27-Sep-13 22:58:03

We used one of the women from DD2's nursery. I think she'd stuck a card on the wall saying she was looking for work.

Given her age and the very nice DPs car she used to come in, I suspect she was saving up for a house and/or to get married.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Sep-13 22:50:04

Mumsnet local is a good place to start too.

Blondie1984 Fri 27-Sep-13 22:47:31

Have you tried gumtree?

onepieceoflollipop Mon 23-Sep-13 11:36:54

Usually we have found teenage friends of friends, word of mouth recommendations. For example, my newest one is the teenage dd of a friend's colleague. So we didn't know her directly, but people we know could vouch for her. Some of my friends have found that nursery nurses at their dc's nursery will do babysitting.

I would suggest spreading the word amongst friends that you are looking, even if you don't have nursery or school connections, or know any students or whatever, some of your friends will. Also consider if you can swap babysitting favours with another parent.

mummycat0 Mon 23-Sep-13 11:30:05

I don't know if it's worth mentioning we only need someone who can watch the child for 3-4 hours while DH and I can attempt to have the occasional dinner out. Thanks!

mummycat0 Mon 23-Sep-13 11:28:07

I've never used a babysitter before and have no idea how to go about locating a local trustworthy one, we don't have any friends/family who are up to it or have experience of looking after children. Also anything I need to know/look out for with regards to the search? Generally all advice appreciated as I'm a complete novice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now