This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where do you find a nanny without paying to look!!

(7 Posts)
Nicsaunders85 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:42:49

Hi,

I need help, I need an ofsted registered nanny but I am not willing to pay to find there details on a website. Please help if you know where to look in Newcastle under Lyme area?
Thanks

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 18-Sep-13 21:53:57

Gumtree is free to respond to posts, but you'll need to pay to post an ad.

Childcare.co.uk is free to use, but you have to pay to send a message I think.

Nannyjob.co.uk is another website, not sure about their pricing.

Otherwise word of mouth is free.

NoPhoto Wed 18-Sep-13 21:54:59

I've just recruited my OFSTED nanny from childcare.co.uk. For the sake of £20, I have interviewed three this week. It's so cheap, especially compared to agencies and obviously knowing the help I can get from tax credits.

Snelldog Wed 18-Sep-13 21:57:18

Get to know people - nannies at mother and toddler groups etc

Cindy34 Wed 18-Sep-13 23:01:15

In theory your local authority should know about nannies who are on the Ofsted register. However in practice they may not be able to give out the details and would have no idea if the nanny was actually looking for work or not.

Gumtree, mumsnet local, netmums local, asking people you know.

Low cost options: local advert in places like postoffice, newsagents, children's centre, any venue at which young children attend with their carer.

Callaird Fri 20-Sep-13 10:34:31

Most nannies I know look on nannyjob.co.uk, even if they aren't actually looking for a new position!

I think it costs about £20 to advertise.

Gumtree is the next site I go to, to look. I don't know how much they charge to advertise.

School/nursery/community Center notice boards. Local newsagent window.

Try to add as much information as you can. Make sure all your information is correct before posting, I've replied to adverts and find out the key things I am looking for aren't correct!!

Location is important, don't say the county, especially if you are looking for live out. Say x miles south of main town rather than near main town, it can be 20-30 miles from one side of the town to the other adding an hour each way to the day.

Ages and sex of children.

Duties.

Salary range. I don't answer adverts if there is no salary range, I am really, really bad at talking about money, face to face or over the phone. So are a lot of nannies I know. There is no point going for an interview if you can't afford to work for what the family are offering.

(Before deciding on what pay you can afford, don't forget to factor in activities/outings for the children, food for nanny (just basics, whatever the child/ren are eating during the day, if your nanny starts at 7am and has a 30 minute commute, she'll need breakfast and lunch, if she works until 7pm she may want tea too! I know that eating at 8:30/9pm is too late for me when I have to be up at 5:30 to get ready for work) milk for her tea/coffee and biscuits! I get through a lot of fruit! I do provide some of my own fruit as I eat loads. I also buy anything out of the ordinary for me to eat. I like salmon, my bosses like the children to have organic meat/fish (I do too!) so when I do the children's food shop, I pay for mine. But I will use their veg, carbs and store cupboard ingredients.
Also, fuel/transport costs for activities/outings/school. 45p per mile is the current rate for a nanny using her own car. The odd tea/coffee/cake/ice cream at soft play/park/town when they pop in to buy new shoes/clothes/etc for the children. My ex-charge had two classes that my boss booked in town on a Tuesday, we didn't have time to go home for lunch in between classes so we would have lunch in town and my boss would pay as it was her choice, if I choose to have lunch in town then I would pay for myself, my charge was 6 months so I took food for her. It all adds up unfortunately! Sorry, slightly off topic!)

Good luck!!

Karoleann Fri 20-Sep-13 14:46:37

You can look at CV's on nanny job without paying (although you have to register). You can also look on childcare.co.uk without having to pay and you can message nannies who have gold membership (ie nannies who have paid) without paying too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now