This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Wondering if a child has hearing problems, would you bring it up?

(5 Posts)
Runoutofideas Thu 19-Sep-13 07:33:24

I would raise it. My own daughter suffered with glue ear at a similar age and was so different, and much happier, when it was properly treated.

halfwayupthehill Wed 18-Sep-13 22:11:36

Raise it. Might be glue ear.

LingDiLong Wed 18-Sep-13 21:48:19

Thanks Outraged, I will do.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 18-Sep-13 21:41:07

I'm a nanny, not a childminder but I always mention to parents if I have a concern. I would just say what you've said here. You've noticed x,y,z and think it could be worth getting him a hearing test as, in your professional experience/opinion, those behaviours can sometimes be caused by a loss of hearing (stress that it's probably temporary hearing loss).

LingDiLong Wed 18-Sep-13 20:44:53

I've been looking after a 3 year old boy for about 18 months now. He's always been a sweet natured little lad and very well behaved. His speech was well in line with what you'd expect from an almost 2 year old when he started but it hasn't really developed as well as you might expect. At 3 and a half he's quite unclear. I understand most of what he says but I've noticed other adults struggle to understand him sometimes. His vocab is good though. Lately his behaviour in the school nursery class seems to have deteriorated, a bit of pushing and fighting with friends. None of that with me but he's very sulky, the slightest thing and he storms off to hide from us all!

He's always been the kind of child who completely ignores you if he's absorbed with something but this seems a bit worse lately - and he sometimes mishears or misunderstands what I'm saying to him.

All of this suggests there MIGHT be a hearing problem - does it suggest that to you too? If so, how would you raise it? I don't want to panic his mum...I have a 3 year old myself and know that they can be badly behaved, moody and prone to completely ignoring you anyway so there's not necessarily a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now