Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Some questions (from Childminder) Thanks in advance !!

(13 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 20-Sep-13 19:53:07

Thanks everyone got some awesome ideas.

Maryann1975 Fri 20-Sep-13 13:19:31

I don't do a learning journey as such for my reception aged children. At the beginning of the term I look at what the children are achieving and what they need to do, for example, so and so, is struggling to out on his own shoes so we are going to focus on learning to out on own shoes and do them up correctly. I also focus on the point that they are only with me for an hour or so after school and generally want to do nothing and relax after school so I provide appropriate activities for this. I commented that I was going back to the basic three sections of the EYFS as with an under two year old. I have been ofsteded doing this and she was fine with it. She Understood the limitations of picking a child up from school and having to have them fed before being picked up at 5.30. I do get a copy of half termly plans from the reception teacher to show I communicate about what is going on at school and put that in the file.
I do get parents to sign the register, but it tends to be every few months as opposed to every week. No idea why it needs doing though.
And I don't do a daily risk assessment any where else apart from my head. It's just to much paper work to keep.

Jiina Fri 20-Sep-13 00:45:17

1) What everyone else said.

2)Nope.

3) Laminated list stuck up in the hall and a whiteboard pen here too.

Bonkerz Thu 19-Sep-13 20:39:46

I use a daily diary with page per day and write jobs I've done and risk assessments made on top of my main written ones........ie I might write that I had cleaned lounge toys and disposed of broken toys or that I had replaced child lock on cupboard etc. also use it to write register in and fridge temp and any notes ie accidents, medicine etc, so its become more like a professional reflective practice journal!

Ok so at school so what you need to do is work with the main care giver, so if the child needs help with something then you would support this, I found easiest way is to give the children a special book or all about me type thing where they can write about (or you can write for them if too young) stuff that's of interest to them or add their pictures / photos mini obs ect. Bit of a pita especially if they are only with you for a few hours a week, so my solution is to make it more child led iyswim.

MUM2BLESS Thu 19-Sep-13 20:29:51

Both in year one at school

MUM2BLESS Thu 19-Sep-13 20:29:04

Thanks to everyone

From what i can remember you need to do LJ's until the august of the 5 yrs old birthday. Now passed so what do you do next?

HSMMaCM Wed 18-Sep-13 21:54:24

1 school do learning journeys
2 never got parents to sign
3 daily to k list sheet of basics which I often forget to tick

ashley69ly Wed 18-Sep-13 20:43:38

1. The main care giver has to do the LJ, so if they are in school, school will do them. I just keep adding photos to their books when I get one that I think is good.
2. No, I never have and Ofsted have never commented.
3. Don't write them down, just mental checklist each morning.

1. you need LJ as Twinkle said, why do you think you don't?
2. yes, weekly
3. I did a laminated A4 sheet, put on wall and checked off daily with white board pen, rather than keeping daily paper copies.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 18-Sep-13 19:20:21

You need learning journals until 31st August after their fifth birthdays.

moogy1a Wed 18-Sep-13 18:01:53

1. you don't need any form of LJ for them. Just permissions etc.
2. No
3. I wouldn't dream of writing down daily risk assessments.

MUM2BLESS Wed 18-Sep-13 13:13:16

1. I have two children aged five, who I do not need Learning J' s for ? what do I need to do for them now?

2. Do you get your parents to sign your registers?

3 How do you record your daily risk assessments, if you do record it?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now