This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice from parents and nannys please

(12 Posts)
Lala03 Wed 11-Sep-13 11:14:41

I am a Nanny with my own little one and I look after 2 charges! I love my family and the children.

I've found out I'm pregnant 6 weeks : ) I'm over the moon, but obviously worried about telling employees as I know they'll be sad to loose me.

My main problem is with my first pregnancy I suffered severely with SPD (problem with my back hips and pelvis)I was signed off wok from 17weeks and on crutches, I'm only 6 weeks and already my SPD is already starting, I'm so worried as they rely on me so much and I feel it's going to get to the point I can't work again ( last time I worked in a nursery)

I just want some advice I haven't told them yet and ha planned to wait till 12 weeks but if I'm honest I'm worried I may not last that long with my Spd and will not likely be signed off again, I'm hoping to last as long as I can as I need the money!

Do I let them know and if I feel my hips and pelvis are getting unbearable warm then that its happening so I can hold on for them to find someone new to cover me, or not? I'm worried about risk of loosing the job as I understand its not an ideal situation.

Hope this makes sense and someone can help, sorry to ramble on!

Lala03 Wed 11-Sep-13 11:16:27

Excuse the typos and sp mistakes on iPhone x

GoAndAskDaddy Wed 11-Sep-13 11:51:27

I think you need to tell them. If you are employed by them then they will have to pay you sick pay. Might be wrong but think SSP not applicable in pregnancy so full pay. However, 6 weeks still early days so might be best to hang on a bit. Does it cause damage if you don't rest/take things easy?

NomDeClavier Wed 11-Sep-13 12:04:31

Congratulations. is a very helpful leaflet which explains all about sick pay in pregnancy. As it's a pregnancy related they aren't allowed to discriminate against you so you won't lose your job.

I would probably hold off until 12 weeks but you do need to be honest and open, and as soon as you tell them they need to do a risk assessment which will have to take your SPD into account. If they can't modify your work in a satisfactory and reasonable way they may have to suspend you. That's different to you being signed off though.

Harsh as this might sound don't expect your employers to be thrilled at the prospect of you going off long-term sick and on ML however good your relationship usually is with them. It represents a big upheaval for your employers and their DC, and the SPD will be an added complication.

Karoleann Wed 11-Sep-13 12:34:07

Goandaskdaddy - it depends what is in the contract, if its an ssp only sick pay then its just ssp as usual, if its full pay that's what applies, for whatever time is n the contract and then SSP kicks in.
They just can't discriminate against you if you are pregnant and sick and the sickness is recorded separately from normal sickness.

Do you think there is something they can easily do to help you out? If there is, then it's worth speaking up, if not, I would just wait til the 12 week scan.
The others thing that's worth thinking about is if you think they would have you back after your maternity leave with both children. If you think they would, I would tell them soon, as they will need to sort out cover and maybe a handover period before your SPD gets severe.

Lala03 Wed 11-Sep-13 12:49:30

Thanks for the advice everyone, the only reason I'm thinking of telling them early is that I'm concerned I'll be signed off before 12 weeks. With spd the more you do the worse it gets, I was housebound with last pregnancy an offered wheelchair, I managed with crutches and they induced me early. Obviously this time I have a little on myself to look after and need to think about that, I ideally want to prevent getting that bad as soon. I won't be going back after, I just don't want to leave them in the lurch anymore then I am, I know they are not going to be happy and I'm dreading talking to them about it.
I just don't know how to go about it, I have doctors app Friday to talk about my spd as I'm already in pain, I want to make it as easy as possible for parents and children in bad situation.

I'm hoping they appreciate me being honest about most likely not being able to work through my pregnancy and enable them to find someone else sooner rather then later. I don't think they'll be able to do much to help, as you have to do no lifting no pushing buggys ect. It's a nightmare I was hoping to not have to deal with again, or at least this early!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 11-Sep-13 13:43:25

I think you have to be honest and tell them. If you are suffering now and only 6weeks then I think you are going to find work very hard

If you know you def aren't coming back then makes easier on employers so they can look for a perm nanny

I assume you have 4 weeks notice in contract so personally and professionally I would tell them and althoight hold off Handing your notice in just yet - but you also run the risk of them finding a replacement and giving you notice earlier then you want

Lala03 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:52:39

I only have to give a weeks notice same for them, I wouldn't be giving them notice till the end of maternity leave, I would be only be getting SSP then SMP, I can't afford this let alone to hand my notice in before then.

I'm just concerned if I warned them I'm gonna be signed off they would try and get rid of me, however sounds like it would be hard for them to do! I'll speak to my doctor Friday see what they think, and take each day as it goes.

Thanks again for all your help x

NomDeClavier Wed 11-Sep-13 16:14:27

As soon as you tell your employer you are pregnant you have protection unfair dismissal. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent your employers re-evaluating the arrangement and making you redundant as they'd have to find alternative childcare anyway so decide to use a nursery or CM.

nannynick Wed 11-Sep-13 22:06:49

I agree with NomDeClavier, they could make you redundant. Maternity Action: Redundancy whilst Pregnant
Their childcare requirements could change, thus meaning they no longer needed a nanny, thus the position is made redundant.

2plus1 Thu 12-Sep-13 09:29:11

If you know you won't be back after mat leave why not give notice when you go on mat leave? At least the employer would be able to advertise for a permanent nanny rather than leaving an open and ambiguous situation for them.
Also be aware that if you are off sick when you reach a certain number of weeks your employer can start you on mat leave and hence smp payments automatically.

hettienne Mon 16-Sep-13 20:06:07

You aren't automatically started on mat leave unless you are sick after 36 weeks, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now