This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone else struggling to find work?

(12 Posts)
onepopperwrong Tue 24-Sep-13 13:23:04

Good points well made - unfortunately I can't change that - just have to push on and hopefully get lucky!

Thanks

nbee84 Mon 23-Sep-13 19:28:41

It may be the Weds and Thurs combination that is producing a lack of applicants. If a nanny is looking to do a 2 day job alongside a 3 day job, the 3 days they are likely to be working are a Mon, Tues, Weds or a Weds, Thurs, Fri rather than a split week of Mon, Tues, Fri.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 23-Sep-13 16:01:43

Many nannies need to work 5 days so to work for a family offering 2 days she may need to find another 2 families if another 2 and 1 day job - this may be your problem mrsp

I need / want to work 3 days so a 2day wouldn't interest me as would HAVE to try and find a one day and if I didn't then wouldn't be able to pay my bills

Op - I think there are still the same amount of jobs about but I find that the salary is lower as lots of younger /less exp nannies about

Hope something turns up smile

onepopperwrong Mon 23-Sep-13 13:43:22

Hi there - I've got completely the opposite problem - I've put a job on Nannyjobs and Childcare.co.uk and cannot find a Nanny.

I'm in Woodford Green so I don't know if there is a shortage of Nannies as it's on the Central Line into London. I'm also looking for just Wednesday and Thursdays but full days (7.30am - 6.30pm) so should offer enough hours.

I've got twins + a 3 yr old - do you think that it puts people off because it is harder work than a single child?

I would love to hear your thoughts as I need a Nanny as soon as possible.

Thanks

NannyMcphee12 Tue 10-Sep-13 23:27:48

I'm using Childcare.co.uk
Nanny job
Ive registered with loads of agencies

Please can you pm me so i can talk to you about the jobs you know are available

Leopoldina Tue 10-Sep-13 10:43:52

I know a few people in Bucks who are desperate to find nannies! where are you looking and which agencies are you using?

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 15:51:22

hmm It's not that arduous, and some nannies do follow the EYFS and do written obs and so on so they're making a gross generalisation there. Lack of experience may be more of a factor but nannies who've only ever been nannies are getting pretty rare, so if it's an agency they have a very strange attitude. Just apply for nursery jobs anyway and emphasis any planning/working in partnership with parents/observations that you did do.

NannyMcphee12 Mon 09-Sep-13 15:16:39

I have qualifications but only experience in a nursery as a student. They were saying that they don't take nannies as they don't have paper work experience

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 07:20:38

I find it odd they're saying you won't get a nursery job because you've been a nanny unless you have no nursery experience/are unqualified.

There aren't many FT, perm jobs around and haven't been for a fair while - people's working patterns are changing and they just want PT or before/after school.

Trunchbull Mon 09-Sep-13 07:13:51

I've been out of work for a few months now, in a 21 year career I've only ever spent a maximum of 2 or 3 weeks between jobs. It's really grim here, agencies have nothing, childcare.co.uk has nothing either!

drinkyourmilk Mon 09-Sep-13 07:00:14

I think that nannies are increasingly having to.cobble together 2 or 3 part time positions to make up full time wages. Generally speaking we are also having to be more flexible with our duties. I've never had a problem walking into a position previously, but I'm nervous for when my current job ends. I'm in Sussex, and looking around there seems to be mainly part time work available.

NannyMcphee12 Sun 08-Sep-13 22:40:07

Looking for nanny jobs & there seems to be very little about. Am in Buckinghamshire so not far from London but there's nothing!

Any tips on how to find one?

Applied for a nursery & got told I wouldn't get a nursery job as I've been a nanny,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now