Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Anyone else struggling to find work?

(12 Posts)
onepopperwrong Tue 24-Sep-13 13:23:04

Good points well made - unfortunately I can't change that - just have to push on and hopefully get lucky!

Thanks

nbee84 Mon 23-Sep-13 19:28:41

It may be the Weds and Thurs combination that is producing a lack of applicants. If a nanny is looking to do a 2 day job alongside a 3 day job, the 3 days they are likely to be working are a Mon, Tues, Weds or a Weds, Thurs, Fri rather than a split week of Mon, Tues, Fri.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 23-Sep-13 16:01:43

Many nannies need to work 5 days so to work for a family offering 2 days she may need to find another 2 families if another 2 and 1 day job - this may be your problem mrsp

I need / want to work 3 days so a 2day wouldn't interest me as would HAVE to try and find a one day and if I didn't then wouldn't be able to pay my bills

Op - I think there are still the same amount of jobs about but I find that the salary is lower as lots of younger /less exp nannies about

Hope something turns up smile

onepopperwrong Mon 23-Sep-13 13:43:22

Hi there - I've got completely the opposite problem - I've put a job on Nannyjobs and Childcare.co.uk and cannot find a Nanny.

I'm in Woodford Green so I don't know if there is a shortage of Nannies as it's on the Central Line into London. I'm also looking for just Wednesday and Thursdays but full days (7.30am - 6.30pm) so should offer enough hours.

I've got twins + a 3 yr old - do you think that it puts people off because it is harder work than a single child?

I would love to hear your thoughts as I need a Nanny as soon as possible.

Thanks

NannyMcphee12 Tue 10-Sep-13 23:27:48

I'm using Childcare.co.uk
Nanny job
Ive registered with loads of agencies

Please can you pm me so i can talk to you about the jobs you know are available

Leopoldina Tue 10-Sep-13 10:43:52

I know a few people in Bucks who are desperate to find nannies! where are you looking and which agencies are you using?

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 15:51:22

hmm It's not that arduous, and some nannies do follow the EYFS and do written obs and so on so they're making a gross generalisation there. Lack of experience may be more of a factor but nannies who've only ever been nannies are getting pretty rare, so if it's an agency they have a very strange attitude. Just apply for nursery jobs anyway and emphasis any planning/working in partnership with parents/observations that you did do.

NannyMcphee12 Mon 09-Sep-13 15:16:39

I have qualifications but only experience in a nursery as a student. They were saying that they don't take nannies as they don't have paper work experience

NomDeClavier Mon 09-Sep-13 07:20:38

I find it odd they're saying you won't get a nursery job because you've been a nanny unless you have no nursery experience/are unqualified.

There aren't many FT, perm jobs around and haven't been for a fair while - people's working patterns are changing and they just want PT or before/after school.

Trunchbull Mon 09-Sep-13 07:13:51

I've been out of work for a few months now, in a 21 year career I've only ever spent a maximum of 2 or 3 weeks between jobs. It's really grim here, agencies have nothing, childcare.co.uk has nothing either!

drinkyourmilk Mon 09-Sep-13 07:00:14

I think that nannies are increasingly having to.cobble together 2 or 3 part time positions to make up full time wages. Generally speaking we are also having to be more flexible with our duties. I've never had a problem walking into a position previously, but I'm nervous for when my current job ends. I'm in Sussex, and looking around there seems to be mainly part time work available.

NannyMcphee12 Sun 08-Sep-13 22:40:07

Looking for nanny jobs & there seems to be very little about. Am in Buckinghamshire so not far from London but there's nothing!

Any tips on how to find one?

Applied for a nursery & got told I wouldn't get a nursery job as I've been a nanny,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now