This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part time live in nanny

(16 Posts)
Tableforfour Sun 08-Sep-13 20:58:08

Any advice would be really welcome. We currently have a fantastic live out nanny, two days a week (which is all we need). I don't want to lose her, but there are financial clouds gathering for us in a year or two's time so I am thinking ahead. Part of the reason that we are pushed financially is that we overextended ourselves to convert the loft, so using it for live in childcare seems sensible. But our kids are probably going to schools some distance away and I think it may be too much driving, and generally too much work for an au pair.

So,what I was wondering is whether I would be able to find a nanny who lives with us all the time, but works for us 2 days a week, leaving her free to find a live out nanny job (which would pay better) for the other 3 days a week.

Has anyone had, or heard of that sort of arrangement, from either side? We would be able to offer a large bedroom with own bathroom (contains that family airing cupboard but other than that no one would use it).

Thanks in advance

nbee84 Sun 08-Sep-13 21:13:15

To be honest, for a 2 day job you're not going to be able to save much money. By the time you factor in the extra costs of heating, electric, food etc and take that from the lower wage you would pay a live in nanny, there is not going to be much difference.

nannynick Sun 08-Sep-13 21:15:48

Interesting idea. Would they be paying rent for some of the days, what about food, washing clothes, that sort of thing... if they are living there all week then you will be providing things but they would not be doing much for you in return.

What if they couldn't get other work to fit around the days you needed - would you want them being around the house quite a lot?

I like the idea, wonder whom it may appeal to - perhaps a student who is doing an OU course but does not want to live at home, thus live with you instead.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 08-Sep-13 21:18:19

Yes, I think it could definitely work!

I'm a little confused though. Why do you only need a nanny 2 days a week and why do you need a nanny if your DC are at school? What do you do the other days? Holidays etc?

Not that it matters - it might just help us to help you smile

Tableforfour Sun 08-Sep-13 21:48:35

I am at home two days a week and my mum does one day, so we need two days nanny time. My kids are 4.5 (reception) and 1.5, goes to part time nursery. So I need someone to do school pick up and drop off and full days in the holidays, my current nanny does this plus some light housework when she doesn't have kids. She is fantastic and if we can at all afford it I will hang on to her, but just thinking round options.

I've read that a full time live in nanny is around £300 per week net (this is London) and I was thinking that if we could pay 40% of that (as working 2/5 weekdays) , to reflect that she gets the accommodation but is free to find other work, it would be a significant saving.

nannynick Sun 08-Sep-13 21:49:00

I thought a week was 7 days long... so far you have accounted for 5... 2 days working for you, 3 days working for someone else. What about the other 2 days? Nothing stopping the nanny doing 2 days for you and 5 days for someone else. They may take other work, in the evening perhaps, or overnight.
They may be leaving your home early hours of the morning, 06:30 is not unusual for me to leave my home and come back late - could be midnight or later. How would you feel about that? Is having someone else living at your home something you really want?

nannynick Sun 08-Sep-13 21:59:41

So you would be offering say £120 Gross (let's not even start talking about Net wages as that won't with them having another job) plus use of all household facilities and food/drink, in exchange for them doing 2 days work a week. If the work is 10 hour day, then its £6 an hour which is below NMW but you are providing accommodation so the offset applies which for NMW purposes increases salary to £153.74 so if doing 20 hours a week is £7.69 an hour so above NMW.

nannynick Sun 08-Sep-13 22:00:58

For NMW, I am assuming the person will be age 21 or over.

nannynick Sun 08-Sep-13 22:08:24

I think you need to try to calculate food costs and other costs of having someone living in your home. As Nbee says, those costs could well make this not save you money.

Your live out nanny currently does 2 days a week - they may not be eating that much at your home... how much food/drink do you think they do have currently?
How much does it cost you to employ them (so including employers NI, payroll admin etc) at the moment? Are we talking £300 a week? If so then yes that is quite a bit of difference between say £120 a week but how much would the difference be eaten into by the other costs involved?
You need to try to work out some realistic figures so you can see what you saving really would be - and consider if that saving is worth the loss of privacy you get from having someone else stay at your home 7 days a week.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Sep-13 23:06:56

So you work 3 days

will you be making your nanny redundant? Assume she won't want to drop her salary to £120ish - tho tbh live in nannies can earn 350/400 take home a week - yes I know not gross and should always quote gross

So with these figures means at 40% would be 140/160 a week

As nick said would you want someone to be leaving your house at possibly 630am and coming home maybe midnight at weekends

Maybe a cm would be a cheaper option for you

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Mon 09-Sep-13 00:06:33

I think you have a few options smile

- Childminder
- After school club/breakfast club for 4.5 & Full days at nursery for 1.5
- Au Pair (older one for car insurance & it's not many hours)
- Live-in student & put the baby in 'school hours' at nursery (all hours in exchange for bed & board)
- Live-in nanny, take the baby out of nursery on the nanny days. Bed & Board - possibly small amount of £ depending on cost of 'keeping' her

Talk your Mum into another 2 days grin

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 09-Sep-13 00:10:54

Why don't you drop the baby's nursery? Paying a nanny and a nursery is madness if things are tight financially.

Or increase the nursery hours and get an au pair. An au pair is fine for before/after school.

Or get a lodger and use the rent to pay the current live-out nanny.

I think paying someone's living costs 7 days a week isn't really going to make much of a saving on 2 days a week childcare.

AMI88 Mon 09-Sep-13 08:50:05

Also, unless your days at home can be flexible, I think you are looking for something that may be too hard to find, or if you do find someone, they may not be able to find work for the other days...I would suggest CM or increase days at nursery!

NoMoreWasabi Mon 09-Sep-13 12:01:25

I would look into getting a slightly older (early 20s upwards) au pair who can do the 2 days and then help out with other stuff some other days - I'm sure there are things you could give them.

Tableforfour Tue 10-Sep-13 12:26:10

Thanks all, that is really helpful advice.

He has to go to nursery because we live in a crazy area where there is poor state provision at primary and it is non existent at secondary (without travelling long distances to bad schools) so we have made the decision to educate privately,but the private schools assess at 3,4,5 and 7. Yes, I know it is crazy,but you have to work with the system that you are in, so he needs to be at nursery as they will prepare him for the assessments. Please don't flame me for this,I don't agree with it either!

An older au pair might work, or maybe a cheaper nursery!

Any ideas how you can estimate costs of having someone live in your house, heat, light, food etc?

NomDeClavier Tue 10-Sep-13 14:12:36

A good nanny may well be able to prepare for the assessments. I used to supplement my nanny wage by working with families in North London to do just that. Plus you'd only be losing 2 days per week, unless those are your only nursery days? In which case I'd look at more time in nursery.

As for costs, try taking your bills then divide by 3 and that extra third probably represents what someone living in will cost, making the assumption you all eat the same and your children have an appetite approximately 50% of an adult, your nanny will have a similar amount of technology to you and your DH and use a similar amount of water. That's a very rough and ready estimate because you're already at home part of the time (or your nanny is) so heating and lighting won't change.

I don't think for 2days you'll see a significant saving on a live out nanny with a live in nanny or even an au pair.

A lodger on the other hand is a sensible suggestion as they pay you to cover bills plus a small amount for the room which can cover your nanny's salary. And a lodger will be easier to find than a nanny happy with this kind of arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now