This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

babysitter - how much should I pay?

(4 Posts)
loobs2 Sun 08-Sep-13 14:57:24

I seem to have been paying my teenage babysitters £5 an hour for perhaps too long.... Can anyone tell me a fair hourly rate for 16-17 yr-olds? Should an 18-yr-old get more? Nothing is required of them other than literally to sit for a few hours in the evening with my 10 and 13-yr old children, but I value having them and want to be fair...

AMI88 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:06:11

I charge £7.50 per hour, based on the fact that our local babysitting agency charge that also. £5 seems a little low, but I agree they are not exactly doing a lot, so £7.50 I think seems fair x

GoAndAskDaddy Sun 08-Sep-13 18:08:11

Where are you? I'm never v generous & never struggle getting someone. I think it's easy work being paid to sit & watch tv! Minimum wage? I think £5 ph for that age group is fair(but might depend where you are). I'm up north!

loobs2 Sun 08-Sep-13 19:31:29

I'm in the south-east so probably am paying under, though don't think I need to match agency charges. The girls who sit for me seem happy enough so I'm pretty sure a raise to say £6 an hr would be welcomed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now