This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Employing a Nanny with own child question

(5 Posts)
Alexa007 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:31:17

Hi

Considering hiring a nanny who would need to bring her own child with her to work.

What would normally happen in the circumstance that my child or her child had something contagious e.g norovirus, chicken pox?

I guess it's the same as if my child was ill and couldn't go to nursery - I would have to stay home with her

But where she needs to stay home with her child is this counted as her sick leave, holiday, unpaid leave, paid leave? What's reasonable?

Thanks!!

Victoria2002 Sat 07-Sep-13 09:50:32

I am a nwoc and I agreed with my boss that I would treat her child and mine as siblings re illness eg: assume they are going to share their germs and still come to work if my child or my charge is sick but just take it easy/do the minimum. I guess if my child developed a nurovirus over the weekend I would call her to discuss options though. In my personal experience if they spend every day together, by the time it's clear a child has chicken pox, for example, then probably all their mates do too! I only had one day off in 12m for my baby's sickness and that's because he was rushed to hospital (my boss paid me as usual-think her only thoughs were concern for my child). You need to discuss all these things in advance with your nanny and find out if she has any back-up care for her child, as I guess every employer/nwoc does things differently. It's not the same as nursery though-that's the advantage of a nanny. At nursery if your child vomits once even from eating paint or bought on by a bad cough you must keep them home for 3 days.
I'd also like to thank you for considering nwoc-there are great benefits for everyone involved and hopefully your nanny will bend over backwards to make it work.

gruber Sat 07-Sep-13 11:09:51

Just started back to work as NWOC after maternity. We have a "treat as siblings" rule; I'm in constant contact with both so it's likely to come across anyway! If ond of my charges is really ill my DC can always go to one of my friends/my parents. If DC is ill I think I'd leave them withy parents (I don't work stupidly long hours).

Alexa007 Sat 07-Sep-13 22:37:11

Great, thanks for posting that's helped!

Aldwick Sat 07-Sep-13 22:54:26

We also did the 'treat as siblings' but with a bit of understanding, compassion and common sense on either side. Between us we just worked out the most sensible solution in each individual situation.

I really hope your Nanny works out well - in my experience a Nanny who is also a mother can work brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now