This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder increasing fees because she bought a new car

(79 Posts)

My childminder is a long time friend.
She looks after my little girl. She charges £27 per day + £8 fuel costs as she drives to my house and picks her up and drops her off everyday. I don't have any problem paying this amount as it was discussed and we signed contracts in respect of this.
She is a brilliant childminder, cares so well for my little girl and my little girl loves going to hers- never any tears, just smiles and laughter.
The childminder has bought a new car- with more seats as a) her old one broke and b) she got two more mindees.
This new car has a bigger engine and uses more fuel. She has asked me for an extra amount to cover the extra fuel she is using.
I thinks she is being cheeky asking me to be honest.
She only bought a bigger car to fit more children in and make more money for herself. Surely the cost of fuel should be factored into their fees not mine?
She hasn't given me any notice- she told me yesterday that it will be an extra £10 per week.
What do I do?
My husband won't pay it, he says it was her choice to get a bigger car and should foot the bill for the extra fuel.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:50

You have a very good deal - very cheap daily rate and the fact your cm picks up and brings back adding major miles to her car and hours to her day

If you don't want to pay for the extra petrol then do the commuting yourself

Tbh I don't know of any cm that pick up - that's the major disadvantage / difference from a nanny - that you would normally get your child to the cm then yourself to work

Me23 Sun 08-Sep-13 10:22:37

Agree with the others re you've got it very good in terms of the cost you incur.

I'm in London my son has just started nursery as my partner is going back to work he was a Sahd. The nursery charges £74 a day! 8-6pm. We will be paying over £11,000 a year in childcare including our dd's after school club!

With a joint income of 49k we will only see an extra 8k a year from my partner going back to work. Still we are struggling so much right now we have no choice.

eurycantha Sun 08-Sep-13 14:41:45

Most nannies around here are paid 45p a mile!

Outragedfrom Leeds- so the new fees will kick in on the 6th October. Cheers thanks for that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now