This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder increasing fees because she bought a new car

(79 Posts)

My childminder is a long time friend.
She looks after my little girl. She charges £27 per day + £8 fuel costs as she drives to my house and picks her up and drops her off everyday. I don't have any problem paying this amount as it was discussed and we signed contracts in respect of this.
She is a brilliant childminder, cares so well for my little girl and my little girl loves going to hers- never any tears, just smiles and laughter.
The childminder has bought a new car- with more seats as a) her old one broke and b) she got two more mindees.
This new car has a bigger engine and uses more fuel. She has asked me for an extra amount to cover the extra fuel she is using.
I thinks she is being cheeky asking me to be honest.
She only bought a bigger car to fit more children in and make more money for herself. Surely the cost of fuel should be factored into their fees not mine?
She hasn't given me any notice- she told me yesterday that it will be an extra £10 per week.
What do I do?
My husband won't pay it, he says it was her choice to get a bigger car and should foot the bill for the extra fuel.

BonaDrag Sat 07-Sep-13 07:29:23

Another one who pays £60 a day here...

changeforthebetter Sat 07-Sep-13 07:41:25

I pay £4ph in Yorkshire. No collections as the CM is my NDN. Loor, she is in business. If she wants to put her rates up, she can. You should get a decent amount of notice. I wouldn't move a child from a setting where she is happy FWIW.

Inclusionist Sat 07-Sep-13 07:52:08

I also pay £60 a day for full days and voluntarily pay a fiver a day for fuel on the days CM does the nursery run as it is a bit out of her way.

Your deal sounds AMAZING! I would just tell CM/friend that you are happy to pay increased fees but you need a month's notice to adjust your budget for it.

minderjinx Sat 07-Sep-13 08:00:15

She should have given you a month's notice, and she shouldn't be charging mileage as such anyway = she should increase her daily rates to cover all her travel expenses. Other than that, she is perfectly within her rights to put up her rates every now and then. She could have saved herself this debate by giving no details of her rationale. Perhaps she wrongly thought it would be more palatable to you if she gave some sort of justification. Or perhaps she's fed up with the daily journey anyway and will be relieved if you decide it has run its course. I know I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't be happy for my children to be spending that many miles on the road. I'd guess if she sees this she will probably give you notice anyway.

Pinkpinot Sat 07-Sep-13 08:02:02

Does she have to drive the other mindees that far? If not I don't see why they should have to pay
You are being disadvantaged because she has decided to expand her business
But Stil sounds like you have a good deal

nextphase Sat 07-Sep-13 08:02:39

if your not happy with the increase in cost, what about doing one of the pick-ups your self, and reduce the car cost to £5/day?
it sounds like a great deal to me, but it would put me off using her, as it means my child would either be in a car, or unavailable for drop off / pick up for a fair chunk of the morning and afternoon, as they would be in the car to get your daughter home.

Charotte31 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:10:22

She should work out the mileage it's normal around 30p a mile ( that's what you used to get as a nanny) so 10 miles will be £3! Ask her to make a note of the mileage each week/day and totally it up. £10 seems like a lot but she does sound like a fab childminder picking up and dropping off not many would do that!

sleepdodger Sat 07-Sep-13 08:19:32

£45 nursery day in mids... Cm are are hard to find and charge similar but main reason I didn't use one was that they both do school run on foot with 8 kids each day
I'm not paying 40 to have my baby in a buggy in all weathers so you can make money from other mindees
In same way is not place business with a cm who would have my child in a car every day whilst in care
I'd worry if you kick up a fuss you'll jot have her service- do you think she's hoping you might stop with the collection service??

nextphase Sat 07-Sep-13 08:22:30

Charotte so thats £3 to get to OP house, £3 to get back to her house, and same again in the evening - £12/day, even with your low cost per mile - I get 45p from work (Private corp), Mum gets even more (public funds!).

Charotte31 Sat 07-Sep-13 08:29:15

Yeah my husband just told me that's very low now it's more like 45-55p per mile these days. Oops sorry! I was a nanny 3 years ago its all gone up since then!

Tanith Sat 07-Sep-13 08:58:10

"Make more money for herself"

Why on earth shouldn't she? confused It's her business!

Sounds to me like she's out of pocket doing all this for you, and she's trying to redress the balance a little. She's bought the car so she can continue providing this service to you now that her business is established and she doesn't need your custom. How would you have felt if she'd simply given notice and not bought the car?

You do have a very good deal. What a shame you and your husband begrudge paying a few extra pounds for someone who is not only an excellent childminder, but is supposed to be your friend.

nannynick Sat 07-Sep-13 09:06:40

Your childminder is a long time friend, so your business relationship may damage your relationship. You were their first client, they didn't register as a childminder to care for your child did they?
They are doing you a favour by doing the pickup/drop off. It probably was not costed out correctly in the first place or thought about how it would affect their ability to care for other minded children.

Are you still looking for a more local childminder? Whilst your current childminder is your friend and it's great that they are able to do the pickup/drop off, long term is it going to work - such as what happens when your daughter goes to school?

For £37 per day there is a nursery 10 minutes up the rd that will do a term time only contract, that includes nappies, wipes and formula. My older children went there from the age of 2.
The reason I chose my friend over the nursery is that her baby and my baby play together and the cm is familiar to her and a good friend.
The CM suggested the pick up/drop off and set the fees accordingly.
There have been other queries over money in the past and my OH thinks she has overcharged us. So this extra £2 per day has really riled him.
As it is a term time only contract the payments are pro rata so she gets the same money each month, yet she wants the £10 per week on top- which isn't pro rata. Tax credits don't change an award unless it's more than £10 per week, so I'll have cut £45 per month off our food bill. Quite a chunk when I only work part time and have 5 people to feed.

Pachacuti Sat 07-Sep-13 13:11:18

If tax credits is the problem, can't you get her to charge you an extra £10.20 a week?

Essentially, she's been losing money on the travel part of your deal (IIRC from work even the allowable mileage expenses people have been quoting don't actually cover running costs, and she's trying to change rates so that she still loses money but slightly less money. Your DH thinks that that's unreasonable and that she should continue to operate at the same level of loss.

SirChenjin Sat 07-Sep-13 13:22:41

I can understand that she might want extra money for petrol (although I'm not sure my employer would be quite so accommodating if I chose to buy a bigger car for work purposes - my mileage allowance is set, regardless of what size of car I choose to buy, and it sure as hell doesn't ever increase...), but she certainly should not have landed this on you at such short notice. £40 extra a month is a heck of a lot of extra money to find - and I'm guessing that she's increasing the amount she charges all her mindees?

If it were me, I would be looking for a more formal arrangement elsewhere. Oh, and fwiw - £3.5-£4/hr for a CM is about right for round here.

doughnut44 Sat 07-Sep-13 13:31:53

I have just put my fees up £2 a day. I think it's reasonable and it factors in tge fact that I may need a new car/toys/car seats. The mistake your minder has made is telling you that it's towards the new car. sounds like a touch of the green eyed monster to me. One of my mums once commented that the increase was to pay for my holiday. well yes actually as part of my wages it certainly contributed towards it but the £360 a year extra she actually paid didn't cover the cost of my holiday.
I think you have a good deal as a taxi over that distance twice a day would cost considerably more than £10

forevergreek Sat 07-Sep-13 13:42:56

Sounds like a bargain to me.

I charge 45p a mile for using my car. So £18 a day or £90 a week.

I would be careful as sounds like she is filling up her spaces fine, so she might just give you notice and take on another child.

I have spoken to her and she's agreed to the pro rata amount being added onto next months fees. Ive spoken to OH and he's happy with that.
OH has suggested we look for a local nursery place as the mindees are sat for more than an hour in the car each tues/weds and he wouldn't be happy paying for that. Plus cm can take on a local ft child.
I think we will keep things separate from now on.
Thanks for the advice though.

mamapants Sat 07-Sep-13 14:20:51

Sounds to me like she's been really reasonable and bent over backwards to accomodate you.

MissMalonex2 Sat 07-Sep-13 14:32:54

You have a very good deal and know your DC is being looked after by a friend. But you might put your DC into daycare - with all the turnover of staff. confused you sound like you are cutting off your nose to spite your face

SirChenjin Sat 07-Sep-13 15:52:02

A good nursery does not have a high turnover of staff - and the children they look after won't be sitting in a car for 2 hours over 2 days. Hardly cutting off her nose to be looking for somewhere that will provide high class childcare at less cost hmm

peggyundercrackers Sat 07-Sep-13 17:18:59

sorry I got costs wrong, I read as an extra £2 week not £2 a day. sounds like you have come to an agreement which is good. its always hard working with friends when money is involved as sometimes you feel you want to say something but cant.

nightcircus Sat 07-Sep-13 19:11:12

Husband jealous of nice new car?!

SirChenjin Sat 07-Sep-13 19:18:40

Stir stir stir

Ragusa Sat 07-Sep-13 21:02:02

I can't believe how reatively cheap the OP's childcare is shock. CM is £60 per day here and pickups/ dropoffs are very unusual.

Did she register for you? Because if she did she will have incurred significant costs. Personally I woukd just pay the extra. If it ain't broke and all that ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now