This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part time mothers help/night nurse - does such a thing exist?

(13 Posts)

I'm struggling with sleep and keeping in top of things with DD (6weeks) and no family or close friends locally. I was wondering if it was possible to get someone who would come maybe 1/2 afternoons and 1/2 evenings a week to look after DD (EBF) between feeds so I can sleep and maybe share some pearls of wisdom!

Dunno how much it would be or if I could afford it but it might save my sanity and my relationship (with DD&DH) Where would I even start looking?

Ombanker Fri 06-Sep-13 19:11:01

They do indeed exist. Agencies might be a good start - try Night Nannies. Good luck !

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Sep-13 20:59:45

where are you? i do night work and live in kent - are you near me?

got ickle 6 week prem twins at mo - so cute and squidgy smile

age/exp/area all factor in costs, but you are looking at anything from say £8 gross for mh to £15 gross experienced night nanny - as a rough guide

google night nannies/nanny agencies in your area x

Blondes. Thanks, that's helpful smile
Sadly you're not close, I'm in Somerset.

mrswishywashy Fri 06-Sep-13 21:22:07

I'm doing exactly this for 10 week old twins at the moment doing two six hour afternoons. I'm happy to give advice through PM if you want.

I'd also recommend south west maternity who I think cover your area.

purrpurr Fri 06-Sep-13 22:18:38

Remembering, you legend. I always wanted to ask this but thought it must be something that only millionaires could afford. Even some time twice a week would be marvellous. Time to google furiously!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 07-Sep-13 10:18:02

Welcome. Hope you find someone smile

I have a few clients that I literally do 1 or 2 nights a week for to give parents a break / decent nights sleep

One is a set of twins like mrs wishywashy and Other is 3rd child and wants and needs some sleep as has 2 under 4 already

Sleep deprivation is awful

mrswishywashy Sat 07-Sep-13 11:26:17

I can't remember how long ago it was, I think just a few years but the government will going to bring in a scheme to do something like this but it didn't happen.

It is a pain that because of funding and having to stick to the book that health visitors can't give more support. I do have top end paying clients but I also will except lower rates if it works for me and I can see a family is really struggling (I also know a couple of agencies who will drop their fees or not charge) and I also help plenty of people on line with support.

Living in the western world with rarely any community support makes it hard with little ones.

Wickedgirl Sat 07-Sep-13 18:58:04

You could try a doula

They will help you with whatever days and hours you need. There is a li on there for find a doula.......you should be able to find someone fairly local hopefully

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Hopefully I'll get some peace on Monday to make some calls smile
Purr, happy to have helped!
MrsWW I will take you up on your offer of advice, thank you very much - I will PM you when I have a moment to think through my queries thanksthanks

Sunshine2013 Sun 08-Sep-13 16:28:10

Hi depending on where in Somerset you are I maybe able to help you or know someone that can. Feel free to pm me. I have just finished with a baby I cared for from birth to 6 weeks who was in the same situation, so happy to answer any questions you may have that MrsWW hasn't already answered.

Sunshine2013 Sun 08-Sep-13 16:29:35

* sorry that should read whose mother was in the same situation

hope you found someone i do short term bookings n ad hoc nights but am leicester based - try the agency night nannies or a more local one.

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now