This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

afterschool nanny - get rid or 2nd chance?

(10 Posts)

I have just started working full time and have got a local lady to do drop off and pick up for my dc- at school and nursery. She did pick ups before the summer a few times. 1st day she arrived without key to house. I sent her back to get it as did not have to leave yet. In afternoon she picked dc up the wrong way round (on foot) so oldest dc had to walk twice as far as necessary. I had not specified an order but will do in future. Today she only had pick up to do as DP did drop off as working from home. She forgot one of the dc!!!

When DP questioned were he was she said she thought he had him. He sent her out to get him but we may incur extra charges from nursery.
DP says she's incompetent just get rid of her. I have sent a job description to an agency to start looking.
We haven't yet signed a contract with her but if we had I think forgetting a child would be serious enough for Immediate dismissal but we have no alternative for Monday.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 06-Sep-13 17:52:34

She sounds a nightmare. Get rid.

nannynick Fri 06-Sep-13 19:43:30

Still in probation period? Give notice.

Ihatepeas Fri 06-Sep-13 19:55:21

She forgot your child shockshockshock

Get rid!!!

Nanny nick. Yup still in probation period. This is day 2!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Sep-13 20:52:24

def get rid - all this happened on one day shock

forgetting key, silly, how did she expect to get in
picking kids up wrong way, i would pick up whoever finished earliest if no one had said diff
forgetting a child - unforgivable!!

nannynick Fri 06-Sep-13 22:24:07

What will you do for childcare on Monday? Are you going to risk them doing another day? If so, make thing crystal clear and have a review chat with them about how things are going - if you don't feel there is any chance of things improving them terminate it as per notice during probation period.
If you want to dismiss immediately, I feel you must not let them work on Monday. You need to call them tomorrow and tell them that their failure to pick up a child you feel is inexcusable and you feel is gross misconduct and thus you are dismissing without notice.

Surely if DP was working at home and she had any doubts about having to pick up both children, she should have called DP and asked. Common sense isn't it?

Yes that is my dilemma. Do I keep her on while I find an alternative solution or try and muddle through until then. Have been discussing with DP and he could work from home on Monday and pick up on Tuesday with me dropping off but by Weds its getting tricky. I am literally 2 days into.a new job so am probably going to have to have a chat with my boss on Monday.

So I've just sacked her and given her money owed. She didn't seem surprised. DP said it was probably subconscious to lose the job as she realised she didn't really want it. She was a SAHM whose kids are now at secondary and college.
So I've started advertising and will see how long we can manage or if I end up losing my job but ultimately the kids are more important.

valiumredhead Sun 08-Sep-13 14:53:37

Glad you've got rid of her, she sounds like she shouldn't be walking dogs let alone small kids from school!shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now