Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When do you pay your AP?

(6 Posts)
Mendi Thu 29-Aug-13 10:02:23

Our first ever AP is arriving tonight. When we were discussing terms I said I would pay her each week in arrears, so I was thinking that I will say to her that I will pay her each week on Friday (starting next Friday).

But is this a bit unfair because she won't have any money for the coming week? Should I give her a little cash up front?

Just feeling quite nervous about making it all work. I have got her a few "welcome" things, made her room nice, got new bedding etc. What should I be doing with her in the first week to make her feel at home and comfortable? She has already joined the local Facebook AP page.

verap Thu 29-Aug-13 12:13:53

I pay in arrears every Friday.

She will probably have some money from home and most likely not do much in the first week anyway.

I have a new au-pair coming this Saturday so feel nervous too.
Apart from making her room welcoming and taking plenty of time to show her everything I dont think that there's much else you can do.

What is the local facebook ap page?

verap Thu 29-Aug-13 12:22:13

Someone already posted this link before, you may find some things useful:

http://www.universalaupairs.com/family/living_with_an_au_pair.html#houserules

Mendi Thu 29-Aug-13 14:13:17

Hi verap, I saw your other thread. I hope your new AP is more successful.

The Facebook AP page is a group for nannies and APs in your area, most areas have one. If you put "[your town] nannies and au pairs" in the search bar, it should come up. Then your AP can find some local friends.

LtGreggs Thu 29-Aug-13 14:18:29

I used to pay on a Friday, by standing order (once they had a UK bank account sorted) to avoid forgetting. Any expenses etc settled either in cash or by extra bank payment if a larger amount.

Last AP plucked up courage to ask if I could change payment to Thurs instead, as it helped her to have cash for weekend activities smile

MrsDibble Tue 10-Sep-13 21:43:33

I pay in advance on Mondays. Never had any problems with this arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now