This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - where do your mindees nap?

(20 Posts)
Bronteshoes Tue 27-Aug-13 11:13:29

I've met a few childminders recently, hoping to find a place for DS when he's 12 months. I was surprised that of the 3 CMs that I've spoken to, not one used a cot for their mindees' naps, despite having travel cots in the house. One used a buggy (fair enough if the child falls asleep while on the move or if the CM needs to head out for school pick-ups), one used a beanbag in the living room and one used the sofa. Surely a beanbag and sofa are much less safe than a cot when they're young? Where do your mindees nap?

MortifiedAdams Tue 27-Aug-13 11:16:24

Im.not a CM.but my DD goes to one. She naps in her buggy in the lounge (CM does all her.minding in the dining room). All the other mindees nap in their buggies too. Tbh, dd naps in her buggy at home, so I wouldnt have thought about it at CMs.

I suppose as they can have three under three, owning three cots would be a bit silly.

MortifiedAdams Tue 27-Aug-13 11:17:26

Oh and CM.uses the sofa (in dining room), for any 3+yos who.need a snooze, but this is so rare as they are off naps by then anyways (her.mindees,.not all 3yos).

Bronteshoes Tue 27-Aug-13 11:22:05

Thanks Mortified. I'd be happy enough with a buggy too, as if DS has been out with me in the buggy I let him sleep on when we get home, but the sofa and bean bag raised concerns. as I know they're unsafe for babies to sleep on. Perhaps I could insist on them using the buggy (or cot).

dorset Tue 27-Aug-13 11:54:59

Hi I use travel cots for children to sleep in,I also look after a child who will only sleep in a buggy as he does at home and at parents request

Callistone Tue 27-Aug-13 12:00:44

Our CM has travel cots for the younger mindees who prefer to sleep in a cot in the dark, but the older mindees (2+) nap on the sofa as they generally only have a short nap after lunch. In your position, for a 12mo I would insist on a travel cot.

Runoutofideas Tue 27-Aug-13 12:32:16

I use travel cots too. On the only day when I have 3 napping I put the one year old in a travel cot in one bedroom, the 2 year old in a travel cot in another bedroom and the three year old on the sofa (she only naps for 15 mins, some days no nap). it works fine.

if you would prefer her to use a travel cot or buggy, just discuss it. I would think most would try to accommodate your preferences.

Forresitters Tue 27-Aug-13 13:29:15

Hi, I'm a childminder and have two travel cots which I put the under 2 year olds in. I also have character sleeping bags such as Winnie The Pooh and the 2yrs+ love to nap in these.
My mindees only sleep in the buggy if we are out and I personally wouldn't let them sleep on the sofa as I feel it would be unsafe to do so in my own setting especially because I usually work alone at home and will need to do other things during that time.

I usually use sleep time to tidy up from lunch and prepare afternoon activities etc. and I have wooden floors so if a child were to fall off my sofa whilst turning in their sleep - I might not be able to reach them in time and they could hurt themselves.
That doesn't mean to say that I disagree with children sleeping on sofas as I think it is down to the circumstances. There have been times previously where we are at another childminders and my own charges have fallen asleep in my arms or whilst sat next to me on the sofa and I will wait for them to fall into a deep sleep then I will move them into their buggy but I make sure that they are never left alone on the sofa - if that makes sense.

HSMMaCM Tue 27-Aug-13 14:33:26

If we are home and the nap is planned I use travel cots for younger ones and sleep mats for older children. When we're out a child might sleep in the pram or car. Sometimes children just settle themselves down to sleep on the settee, the lawn or simply on the floor. I just make sure they're safe and leave them to it.

HSMMaCM Tue 27-Aug-13 14:33:30

If we are home and the nap is planned I use travel cots for younger ones and sleep mats for older children. When we're out a child might sleep in the pram or car. Sometimes children just settle themselves down to sleep on the settee, the lawn or simply on the floor. I just make sure they're safe and leave them to it.

HSMMaCM Tue 27-Aug-13 14:35:23

Oops. Sorry for saying that twice.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 27-Aug-13 14:51:30

Upstairs in a travel cot, or could go in a buggy if parent requested but none ever have.

Wickedgirl Tue 27-Aug-13 18:22:13

When I was childminding, I used 3 travel cots.......all in different rooms so that the little ones didn't disturb each other

looneytune Tue 27-Aug-13 21:24:45

No longer childminding but when I was, pretty much all slept in a cot, I used to have 4 under 3s and they all slept in cots (my ds2 in his cot, 3 mindees in travel cots). When they were tiny babies (i.e. 8 weeks old for 2 of them, 5 weeks for another), they fell asleep on playgyms, slept in moses basket etc. I've only twice had them napping in prams, once was one of my 8 week old mindees on mums insistence and the other was a 1 yr old who was used to being breastfed to sleep then mum laid in bed with her. Knowing I couldn't do this she asked me to use a pram instead of cot upstairs - worked well.

I guess it depends though as not all childminders would have the space. I used mine and my children's rooms but this may not be an option for some people who don't want to use their rooms, not everyone is registered for upstairs.

looneytune Tue 27-Aug-13 21:27:29

Meant to add that when out and about (usually on outings for the day in the school hols), they'd usually fall asleep in the pram and nap there but this wouldn't be every day.

Bronteshoes Thu 29-Aug-13 10:12:22

Thanks so much for your posts; it's good to have an idea of standard practice. I've chosen a lovely CM now and have discussed napping arrangements so am happy. smile

Peachyjustpeachy Mon 02-Sep-13 14:03:12

I have little ones who settle themselves on the sofa, but I still,ideal the beanbag next to it so that if they roll off they have somewhere safe to land. However these are the 2+ years.

Babies who need settling down are put in a travel cot or in a buggy.

teacher123 Wed 04-Sep-13 21:01:35

DS is 16mo and he naps in a travel cot at the cms house in her bedroom. He would never sleep on a sofa with other children around!

blueberryupsidedown Fri 06-Sep-13 17:18:50

I have two travel cots and one cot, and all babies sleep in cots, except one little girl who always took her afternoon nap in a buggy at home so her parents asked me for her to sleep in a buggy. I also think it's safer for them to be in a cot, and better for their back. I would not have a mindee sleep on the sofa.

anewyear Sun 08-Sep-13 15:09:31

As with dorset
However as he got bigger I transfered LO from buggy to a travel cot, as I personally didnt think he slept as well, I felt he had no room to turn/roll over in his sleep, Mum was fine about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now