This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Unsociable Hours ?

(7 Posts)
kirstyleigh Mon 19-Aug-13 20:21:44

Hi im 21 and im an Nanny for a family in Norway they are a lovely family but they recently have started to call me at 2am or any early hours of the morning and late nights when the baby cries to go and help its quite stressful as i am not an on call nanny i was only meant to do a 37 hour week and have done up to 99 hour weeks but i am happy to help but they haven't offered to pay extra for unsociable hours do you think i should mention it ? i get paid £5 Per hour any advice would be great thanks

Cindy34 Mon 19-Aug-13 20:55:10

You should certainly have a discussion about it. Being live-in does mean its easy for them to call on you but if your agreement was that you would not be on call all the time, then its not up to you to be getting up for baby when it's not your on duty time.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Aug-13 22:07:39

so your employers have been waking you up at 2am to sort the baby out and not paying you shock

they are taking the piss, and you are allowing them

why on earth havnt you said something hmm - you say you are happy to do it weird person smile but if you are doing nights then you need to be paid

esp as originally meant to be 37hrs and you says sometimes 99 - thats over double the contracted arranged hours

Wickedgirl Tue 20-Aug-13 08:45:50

What hours are listed in your contract?

Ask them if they want to change the hours you work and obviously the pay too.

Nannyme1 Wed 21-Aug-13 21:13:12

What does it say in your contract? Cause that is just crazy , if you are happy to do it why don't you talk to them about a weekly salary take into account working 24 hrs a day.

And can you live on £5 a hour in Norway? It's one of the most expensive countries I've been to!

nannynewo Fri 23-Aug-13 22:35:53

Blondes I could be wrong but I think the op meant they are paying her for all the hours she works, even when she works 99hours, but still only £5 per hour for the anti social hours.

If I am correct, op, then I definitely think you should have a word to try and increase that slightly especially when the hours aren't even pre arranged and you are getting and unexpected call. Failing that, switch your phone off overnight.

Mummyoftheyear Fri 23-Aug-13 22:42:25

I have an au pair. I often ask her to work flexible hours. However, I'd never, ever expect her to work during the night ( apart from when babysitting - and we aren't ever out late). IMO it is disrespectful of them. The night time hours are for parents or night nurses. Period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now