This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need an au pair urgently - where to start?

(11 Posts)
mumandboys123 Mon 19-Aug-13 15:27:05

Hello - I need an au pair as a matter of urgency to start within 2 weeks up to the end of November (I could go to Christmas if people think that would make a difference). Essentially, I am a single parent and there are serious road works blocking my way to work and I can't leave any earlier than I normally do due to the timing of my children's breakfast club. I therefore just need someone who will do the school run 4 mornings a week (the 5th morning the children are with their dad) and possibly a couple of after school picks ups a week and that's it. The roadworks are set to clear by the end of November!

Where do I start to get someone this quickly? Can I find someone this quickly? Agencies? If so, can anyone recommend one?

SunnyIntervals Mon 19-Aug-13 15:28:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunnyIntervals Mon 19-Aug-13 15:29:01

SunnyIntervals Mon 19-Aug-13 15:29:19

CaptainSweatPants Mon 19-Aug-13 15:30:28

Aren't there any other solutions?

Cycling, trains, parking past the roadworks? What are other people doing?

What a pain for you sad

Strix Mon 19-Aug-13 15:45:26

I would go to au pair world and search for German teachers. If they have graduated, they will be waiting for their teahcing placement in February. And they like to come to the UK to brush up on their English.... and they will have friends oin the country to keep them company.

mumandboys123 Mon 19-Aug-13 15:57:14

thanks for the ideas. Am looking at the sites now.

Yes, it's very frustrating. The majority of people I work with come from the opposite direction or have a partner or have childminders etc. I can't get a childminder for my children's school 'cos no childminder's work it because of the breakfast and afterschool clubs. Alternative routes take me miles out of my way and into traffic - it would be fine if I could leave home earlier but I don't have that option. I literally need to leave home about 15 minutes before I normally do! I can't be late 'cos I teach and it just wouldn't be accepted - can't cycle 'cos too much stuff to carry backwards and forwards, train is unworkable - I am literally 3 miles from work in a straight line from my children's school, couldn't walk past 'cos I'd need the car on the other side (the problem is about half way between home and work).

An au pair would work really well for me and is actually something I had considered rather than school clubs so would be good to give it a try in the short term to see if the loss of privacy etc. is worth it!

SunnyIntervals Mon 19-Aug-13 16:10:43

kittykat10 Mon 19-Aug-13 16:20:36

Where are you based

mumandboys123 Mon 19-Aug-13 16:22:26

I'm in the North West, coastal town, famous for being on the TV full of drunk people on benefits....

SunnyIntervals Mon 19-Aug-13 16:25:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now