This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Job changing to full time

(7 Posts)
Kooza Mon 19-Aug-13 11:42:13

Quick question - we have a nanny who currently works 4 days a week. It hasn't always been plain sailing but with patience and good communication we are doing much better and I do like her a lot.

I am returning (very unexpectedly) to work next month and will need someone 5 days a week. I have asked her whether she can do that and she said she would rather not if at all possible.

Do I HAVE to try to find another person to cover the 5th day or can I just give her notice and look for a full time replacement? I would definitely rather not have the hassle of having 2 nannies with all the handovers and holidays and stuff.

I have told her that we would obviously want her to stay as our first choice but if she doesn't want to do the extra day I'm not 100% sure of my position. My thinking was that she would need to resign or I would give her notice as circumstances have now changed?

Any advice appreciated!

nannynick Mon 19-Aug-13 13:04:27

When did they start working for you? More than 24 months?

Kooza Mon 19-Aug-13 13:52:41

No, she has been with us for 7 months.

nannynick Mon 19-Aug-13 16:36:47

You can just give notice as per the contract.

Suggest you tell her that you need her 5 days and doing 4 is not an option, that she will lose her job if she won't do 5 days. Make sure she understands that you don't want 2 nannies and thus will recruit someone to do all 5 days.
Does she really want to look for another job?

Your requirements have changed so either she adapts or she looks for a new job.

oscarwilde Mon 19-Aug-13 17:17:41

Why does she only work 4 days? Study/Does she have kids/lifestyle choice? Maybe you can be flexible and offer that she brings her kids with her on the 5th day?

I don't know how old your child(ren) are but it might be good for them socially to be in nursery one day a week.

I would be wary of giving her notice if she is a good nanny. I have plenty of colleagues who seem to have a revolving door and endless horror stories. Lots of good nannies out there but I'm reluctant to change unless absolutely necessary given the impact on the kids.

minderjinx Mon 19-Aug-13 18:10:55

It sounds like five days would be unwelcome but perhaps doable in the short term, which might buy you some time to look at other options such as a nursery day or a childminder for your fifth day. You could even give another option a trial run before making your final decision, as long as everyone knows that is how things stand with you.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Aug-13 22:10:56

now you are happy with your nanny i would think carefully before issuing an ultimatum of 5 days or you lose your job

i work 3 or 4 days a week, and no way i would stay and work 5 days permanently did it for 15years and want me time now so if i was told this i would be looking for a new job asap

totally understand you dont want hassle 2 nannies/holidays etc, so i would think carefully about using a cm or nursery/gps/dad to do the 5th day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now