This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

utter newb questions

(11 Posts)
utopian99 Mon 19-Aug-13 06:51:00

I work from home running my own architecture practice, and while ds is very small have balanced a reduced workload with looking after him myself (now 7.5 months)

Work is picking up of its own accord however, and I'm loath to turn jobs away, plus we're considering havinh dc2, which will make juggling harder.

Is there some sort of help who I could hire to come every Monday (for example,) 9-6, to look after dcs in situ? My mother currently does a day like this on Thursday which is perfect, but can't do more. I would provide all meals, resources and be in the house but working unless required.

Can anyone tell me what sort of person I'm looking for? Likely cost? Other obvious points to consider when hiring? This would be north east London area.

Sounds like you want a nanny.

eeyore12 Mon 19-Aug-13 07:10:25

Yep you are looking it a part time nanny

IrisWildthyme Mon 19-Aug-13 07:33:35

You are basically looking for a part-time nanny then aren't you?

Likely cost will be variable depending on experience, qualifications and quality of the person you appoint, as salaries for nannies can vary hugely.

In northeast London I personally wouldn't be comfortable with appointing someone at a lower end of the budget spectrum than about £30,000p/a which pro-rata for one day a week would be £6,000 per year (but you will hear of both higher and lower than this) You would need to pay national insurance and sort out payroll, and the nanny would be entitled to annual leave too.

This is the most expensive form of childcare when there is just one child - you may want to consider a nursery or childminder instead until DC2 comes along, but when there are two or more DCs a nanny can become more realistic as you pay them a flat rate rather than per-child.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Aug-13 14:40:32

As you work from home I would look at a cm till preg with no 2 and if she can't have both then think about a nanny

A cm will be cheaper then a nanny and you will literally pay the cm
Hourly fee

utopian99 Tue 20-Aug-13 09:03:03

Thanks, really helpful responses and costs! £6k p.a. would bea major chunk of revenue so will need to think about cm too - in this case I'd need to take them somewhere to drop off?

How do you vet a cm? I know it's silly but I worry about it being a stranger and we are only moving in a few months so don't know anyone to ask for recommendations.

There is a primary school with nursery attached across the road from our new flat - would they take a 1.5 - wyear old? I think I should be okay until then, age wise..

lucyfluff Tue 20-Aug-13 10:44:41

A childminder will be registered with Ofsted who check criminal records, health declarations, suitability of premises and references...I'm in the process of registering now!! You can also ask for previous parents testimonials as such if they can provide any.

I would personally visit a few in my area and get a 'feel' of the cm, go with your gut instinct smile and don't be afraid to ask silly questions!!!

Alt, a nursery would take your child but prob an increased cost to cm. good luck smile))

minipie Tue 20-Aug-13 14:29:23

Yes you'd need to drop off at a cm. Nanny is really the only option if you don't want to do a drop off.

Re the nursery - check if it's a daycare nursery or a nursery school. Daycare nursery will take him from a young age, they may even take him from 7.5 months if you are comfortable with that. They will also do the kind of hours you're looking for. However a nursery school is generally 2 yrs and up, much shorter hours and term time only. As the one you mention is attached to a primary school, I suspect it may be a nursery school rather than daycare nursery....

Tryharder Tue 20-Aug-13 23:31:01

That is an expensive nanny!

If you just need a couple of days, why not consider an au pair? Or a childcare student? Or a Mothers Help?

utopian99 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:28:47

Had thought of an au pair but aren't they live-in? It seems like quite a thing to give up a degree of at home privacy all week for a day or so, but we had au pairs when I was little and loved them.

What's a mother's help?
What sort of costs would you expect from a childcare student? (Presumably still checked etc and I'd be in the house anyway...)

TheDoctrineOfPositivityYes Fri 23-Aug-13 22:48:10

Nanny share?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now