This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How on earth do I find a 'mothers helper?'

(9 Posts)

Second Gumtree. I advertised on both Gumtree and Nannyjobs, and had many more applicants via Gumtree. As Fairytrain says be as specific as you can in the ad, and reiterate everything with each applicant you speak to before proceeding any further. I had a few applicants who clearly hadn't read the ad properly but still got enough sensible replies too.

FairyTrain Sun 18-Aug-13 20:17:58

Gumtree! Be quite specific about what you are looking for (what you expect them to do etc,) both of my mothers help have come from adverts on gumtree. Both have been excellent...

local colleges that offer childcare courses can be a good bet too I've heard.

nannynick Sun 18-Aug-13 20:12:18

www.childcare.co.uk look at babysitters, nannies
www.gumtree.com

On many sites you can place your own ad and in that ad specify what you are looking for specifically. It may suit someone who is new to nannying, someone in experienced - it would give them some experience of caring for children whilst also doing some household tasks around the home.

Local ads can also work, such as in a local corner shop/convenience store/newsagents.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Sun 18-Aug-13 20:11:09

There are postpartum doulas too smile

GiveMeVegemite Sun 18-Aug-13 19:57:23

Thanks for your suggestions. I had a quick look on findababysitter too, but no one is suitable for what I want, in my area.

Isn't a doula someone that helps with the birth?

BranchingOut Sun 18-Aug-13 19:52:42

Doula?

LadyLB Sun 18-Aug-13 19:50:42

Hi there,

I know of an agency that offer "mother's helpers" - Abberville Nannies. They're based in Clapham and Putney but may be able to facilitate or give you a steer...

www.abbevillenannies.co.uk/home/

Hope this helps...

Lucy

GiveMeVegemite Sun 18-Aug-13 19:42:21

Basically that....
I don't want a nanny as I will be at home, but will be recovering from a c section so just need some help with my 14 month old and newborn. I would be happy with a local teenager if I could find someone!
All the sites seem I have been to dont seem to have anything that fits what I need and I am starting to stress out, thinking I will never find someone!
I am in Greenwich if anyone knows of anyone interested (clutching at straws)
Any suggestions on how I find someone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now