This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can you share your childcare costs with me (school age child)

(8 Posts)
girlylala0807 Sun 18-Aug-13 16:37:34

Good afternoon ladies,

Im trying to figure out how much wrap around care costs for when ds starts school. Its not till next year but I have a new partner and we are trying to work out if we could afford to live together eventually.

So. Ideally, I will have a full time job so I guess it would be an hour before school and 2.45 hours after school. Schools finish at 12 on a Friday here to so that needs to be taken into account I guess.

Im hoping to get a term time only job (haha) but may have to pay for school holiday cover as well. So. If your a childminder what do you charge and if your a parent what do you pay if your circumstances are similar?

TIA!

nextphase Sun 18-Aug-13 16:54:54

If it is just a term time job, you may be better with a before and after school club. iirc, those are £10/day round here. What does everyone else do with friday afternoon? That must be a nightmare for all working parents!

If you need holidays as well, look at about £4/hr.

May well be more if your down south!

noisytoys Sun 18-Aug-13 17:03:20

I live in the south east. After school club is £4/hr but only runs til age 8. I have no idea what we will do with DD when she is 9. We are considering letting her come home by herself and waiting in til we finish work but that's not ideal

turkeyboots Sun 18-Aug-13 17:03:52

Down south here. School holiday club is £20 a day. Wrap round care during term is £13 a day.

CM here don't come cheap -.£7 - 10 an hour. But we seem to be a CM black hole and there is little competition to drive down prices.

girlylala0807 Sun 18-Aug-13 17:44:23

Hi, thanks for the advice so far. I live in Edinburgh. 12 finish is something to do with teachers preparation time I think.

Mandy21 Sun 18-Aug-13 17:58:08

Breakfast club, £7 per child (irrespective of how long you use it for, open from 7.45am). After school is £12.50 per child (from school finishing at 3.15 to 5.30pm, or £14 until 6.30pm).

Holiday clubs about £30 per day.

Absolutely no idea what you do on a Friday afternoon, thats just really bizarre to finish at 12 every Friday!

I'm in N W by the way!

girlylala0807 Sun 18-Aug-13 18:24:57

Thank you. Yea this Friday afternoon thing is a pain in the ass. Any Edinburgh mums out there want to share info? All contributions wecome though smile

nannynick Sun 18-Aug-13 20:17:49

ScottishChildcare.gov.uk has a list of childminders and out-of-school care. Some providers will give cost indications... a quick look seems to suggest around £5 per hour for after-school care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now