This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

English language course for our new au pair - help!!

(5 Posts)
wheresmyliein1973 Thu 15-Aug-13 12:23:00

Hi, our au pair arrives from Germany tomorrow. This is our first ap experience and I think we are more or less ready.

The one thing I have not done is make any progress on finding her an English course. I think she needs to go for an assessment anyway so I couldn't actually book her on a course, but I can't work out what sort of course she would need, e.g. ESOL, Cambridge, just a regular language school, and most importantly one which suits a typical ap schedule.

She is from Germany and has reasonable English. Could anyone point me in the right direction of what sort of course we should be looking at?

PicardyThird Thu 15-Aug-13 12:30:48

I would wait until she's arrived and ask her what her aims are. Does she want a recognised qualification like Cambridge? If she's been through German school up to university entrance qualification (Abitur) level her English is going to be beyond typical beginner-to-lower-intermediate language courses and she might welcome the opportunity to get a piece of paper she can use in university applications, her CV etc.

wheresmyliein1973 Thu 15-Aug-13 12:41:52

thanks

Strix Thu 15-Aug-13 14:39:22

I would point ther in a general direction and let her choose and sign up for one if she wants to. In my experience German Au Pairs have absolutely excellent English. So she might need a course (unless she has specifically asked you to do this for her).

verap Fri 16-Aug-13 12:11:11

I would add that in the meantime, you can email your local colleges to find out what courses they do, costs, etc

I found a prospectus of local college in our local library.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now