This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What info should a CM give you when you leave them?

(22 Posts)

DD2 had been with a childminder since she was 9mo (now 3.5) which we tied in with 2 nursery 1/2 days when she was 2. Once she turned 3 we moved to nursery full time and kept with the CM for holidays (2 days a week)

Last week DD2 refused to go to CM saying they hadn't been outside and watched telly sat in car seats and played babies indoors. Weather was lovely so I put it off to DD being in a grumpy mood and only remembering the bits she wasn't happy with. I asked CM to fill in our day book so we could see what DD was doing daily but also so we knew what time she had her meds. CM refused saying she didn't have time for such nonsense and she would give DD meds when needed (antihistamines for hayfever). Dh not happy about that but decided to see how the hols went and then just give notice now for the next holidays. DD really does not want to go and DM has offered to have her the CM days (she already has DD1 but DD2 was too much for DM to handle when she was younger) I send CM an e-mail (she won't answer the phone to parents unless she says it is okay to ring first) saying we needed to chat and I would call her. I called and got a short shrift for disturbing her time. I explained the situation and as we were away for the next week DD wouldn't be coming back but we would pay the 1/2 fees for the holiday (as agreed) and full fees for the days we were not going to go. She sent a text saying I owed £x and the next morning I got a text saying I owed double the holiday amount as she changed her mind about half fees as we were leaving.

I have e-mailed and requested DDs learning journey/notes etc. as her nursery have been after them for months, I am now being ignored or told to go away when I text or e-mail. What info am I entitled to get? She is already bad mouthing me to anyone who will listen as a lot has come back to me already and I only spoke to her on Monday!

Stropzilla Wed 14-Aug-13 09:54:14

That's awful. Did you get a contract? As long as you stick to that, you're fine. She can't charge you more because she decides to. I usually don't gossip but I might let that bit slip out. As for her bad mouthing you, as a parent that would put me off using her.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 14-Aug-13 12:40:50

Read your contract. If NCMA/PACEY it is standard that neither party can give notice during a booked holiday period. Your CM might be right there but has definitely not expressed herself correctly.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 14-Aug-13 12:43:08

And the care does sound rubbish.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 14-Aug-13 13:11:53

She should have been getting you to sign to say about doses of meds unless you did a long term one?

She should have been doing a learning journal of some description but not sure you can force get to give you it if she hasn't done one. She should have been liasing with nursery re development really but not all do.

Thanks ladies.

I have never signed anything re: meds, I didn't know I needed to.

As for contract, she wrote her own with no clauses as to when I can give notice. It just states that for holiday only mindees the notice period is 1 week either way. We have paid for the 2 days after we gave notice, the holiday period and the week after we came back from holiday, trying to be fair to her. DH suspects she has a child who wants to fill the space full time and we are the easiest to get rid of.

I know she has a report/learning journey for DD as she had an Ofsted visit following a anonymous call a few weeks ago.

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 14-Aug-13 16:55:06

I thought that you had given notice? I don't follow the bit about replacing you with a full timer.

DH was referring to her being difficult about day books/DDs meds etc. She knows they are a non negotiable for us as DD has allergies, one of which is anaphylactic. So by refusing to do these things this holiday she knew we would give notice.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 14-Aug-13 17:54:26

did she actually refuse to give your DD her meds? if so I wouldn't have been paying her any notice that is appalling!! I would have removed dd straight away without notice.

how have you kept you dd there for 3 years? unless this woman has had a sudden personality transplant then she has been like this all along- why did you tolerate it?

nannynick Wed 14-Aug-13 18:10:10

Why does nursery need the learning journal? Your DD has a long way to go in EYFS so nursery can create their own and in turn school will create their own.
Passing info between settings is desirable I expect but I don't think you can insist - childminders & nursery staff on here will correct me if I am wrong as they know far more about EYFS than I do.

CM changing the terms due to you leaving is not on. Act fairly as best you can stating clearly how you came to the amount owed. CM can then take legal action if they feel they are owed more.

I'mNot - When e first started there I assumed that was just how it was done and DD couldn't talk to tell us what they were doing. The CM seems to prefer them smaller and DD has become more confident since she has been at nursery, so tells us what goes on. When I was working DH dropped her in the mornings and the ILs collected so I rarely got a look in. I just went by the day book, which was very basic - a line each on food, activities, sleeps and meds.

Nick - Nursery wanted to see if a 2 year check had been done as they have been asked for evidence of a 2 year check, they didn't do one as the CM was DDs main setting at the time. I have sent an e-mail with break down of money paid and reasons behind the amounts paid.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 14-Aug-13 18:24:44

did she refuse to give your DD her meds?

She said she would give them to DD when she thought DD needed them rather than the stated 1pm everyday regardless of symptoms.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 14-Aug-13 19:34:57

what was her reason for that? it sounds odd. it takes a minute to give a tablet and a glass of water- hardly a massive imposition on her? confused you are well rid.

Katnisscupcake Wed 14-Aug-13 20:03:16

Oh OP what an awful experience for you and your DD. The way your CM works is DEFINITELY not right.

Our CM is an angel in comparison. She has recently turned down a new charge because the parents didn't want the child taken out during the day and even though down here CMs struggle to get business (low salary area - people can't afford childcare), she was determined not to impact the other charges that she has by not taking them to the park, the beach, toddler groups etc. DD has been with her since 5 months (just turned 4 years) and she is like a second Mum to her and has since become a very good friend to me.

When she finished being with her full-time to go to a pre-school, she provided us with a file including her EYFS information, exactly what she's achieved against each requirement and accompanying photos for it all. It wasn't for the pre-school (although we could have given it to them) but for us, a record of her time with her. It's a treasured posession now!

I would also not pay her the notice period. It's just awful behaviour - I feel sorry for the other children that she looks after...

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 14-Aug-13 20:35:32

Ahh! I see OP. smile

HSMMaCM Wed 14-Aug-13 21:10:02

She should have paperwork about the meds, so that is definitely wrong. Your Health Visitor will carry out the 2 year check, but they like to have input from CMs. If you are paying for a full week anyway, then the extra week half pay is a bonus for her, which she can't just change her mind. Just ask for your daughters file and see if you get anything. I give parents everything except statutory records I have to keep when a child leaves.

lovelynannytobe Thu 15-Aug-13 10:31:37

There is no legal requirement to do the written learning journey. The childminder doesn't have to do it. She's still obliged to follow EYFS. So the childminder may not have a file to give. I for example email the photos to the parents on the day we took them and if the child said/did something interesting I would write it there. I hate printing and avoid it all cost. The childminder may have chosen not to take pictures (there's a legal requirement to pay fees to ICO if we take and store digital photos or information so some childminders stopped taking pictures).
With regards to half fees for the holiday ... if the contract states full fees but as a gesture of good will she said she'll take half fees but then changed her mind when you gave notice it is her right to do so as the circumstances changed.
With the medication I always follow what the label says and that's what she should have done. I am shocked you agreed to this.

insancerre Thu 15-Aug-13 11:01:01

If the cm had done a 2 year check then she has to share that with the parents. i guess she hasn't done it if the you haven't seen it.
She sounds like an awful cm.
Why are the nursery worrying about a 2 year check now, when she is 3 1/2?

Lovely - contract states half fees for holidays, illness and any pre warned days we don't attend. I know she does have pics and have e-mails saying she is doing LJ and will send it over but nothing has arrived in the last 6 months.

Insancerre - Apparently nursery have had a letter from the Council stating that they do not have a evidence of the 2 year progress check that is required by the EYFS, they are trying to get a copy from the CM so they can show the council, I guess. Nursery are shut for the summer so can't confirm any details.

Strix Thu 15-Aug-13 14:51:22

This CM is terrible. If any carer refused or otherwise neglected to administer medicine as per my instruction, I would show them the door without pay.

You could report her to OFSTED for a wide variety of offenses. I would call this childminder and advise her there will be no further payments, and if she persues this issue any further she just might find OFSTED at her door.

NarkyNamechanger Thu 15-Aug-13 16:28:57

Nothing to do with the council (2 yr check) so I think you might have got your wires crossed there.

Also the 2yr check only came into the eyfs last sept so your dd was probably passed that stage.

I know technically it can be done anytime between 24-36 months but we are advised in our borough to do it as close to the 2nd birthday to tie in with the HV check at their 2nd birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now