This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do you earn as a CM?

(13 Posts)

Sorry if its a rude question.

fudgesmummy Mon 12-Aug-13 20:10:44

For the last 4 years or so I have based my tax return on an income of 41 thousand BUT I work very long hours with my husband as my assistant and have no outside life at all. Our DC's are in their 20's so don't have the extra stress of children after work etc

Cindy34 Mon 12-Aug-13 20:14:34

Childminders run a business so they do not earn as such, they make a profit or a loss.

I would expect that many childminders have profits under the personal tax threshold, so say under £10,000

Some childminders may have a high turnover and low expenses and thus make more profit than other childminders. It will vary quite a bit. Some childminders on here may give you an indication of turnover and expenses, though it will vary so much due to circumstances that it may not be that helpful to you.

AdeleIrwin88 Mon 12-Aug-13 22:47:38

It's too varying to give you one answer, depends on how many children you have and where in the UK you are, I charge £5p/h, (London average) and I have all young full timers, however it's unsteady, I am well aware that a time may come when I am not as full.

Having said that, I previously worked as an assistant manager to an Outstanding nursery, and I earn an awful lot more now than I did then! (Would argue that I work much harder and much longer hours now-so I deserve it)

It's not easy, money shouldn't be the deciding factor as to whether you want to CM or not, it is hard, and sometimes I miss the comfort of colleagues!

lovelynannytobe Tue 13-Aug-13 08:43:45

60K - I work with my husband. I am however looking for a career change as childminding is slowly killing me. I work 13 hour days sometimes 6 days a week. I am exhausted. My house is like a nursery. And we hardly get one to one time with our own children.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 13-Aug-13 11:55:24

I charge £3.50 per hour.
£10 per after school pick up.
£5 per session before school.

I took just over £8k last year, working out at £6k after expenses

But I did not work a kit in the day, just two days 8-6. Then lots of after schools.

When really busy I took £1400/ month then it dwindled to about £500 a month.

BettyBottersBetterButter Tue 13-Aug-13 20:26:30

For a 4 day week I turnover c.£2k less about £600 in expenses & tax but I'm in an area with a much higher than average high hourly rate. I work 3 very full-on days with 6 under 8's (albeit including own DC) and have 1 quieter day with just DC + 1 baby between school hours which is lovely. I have kept 1 day off to be with DC & for my own sanity although usually spend a few hours either doing paperwork (obs, LJ's or book-keeping) or putting the house back-together after 4 day's carnage!!

In the right area you can earn a really decent wage considering there are no childcare/travel expenses - I worked out if I worked FT at full capacity I could clear nearly £3k a month but I'm pretty sure it would kill me before long!! As it is, I do enjoy CM & it's the best way I could work PT, be there for my children & have enough to pay the bills but don't underestimate how hard it is or how much of an impact it ca have on your own family & home.

Gluggy Fri 16-Aug-13 09:56:53

Sorry but am I the only one who DOES think this is a rude and invasive question?

Would the OP go to any other area of work and ask a person how much they earn?

I am sure that the OP can work it out for themselves based upon the myriad of information on this site about CM charges and the hours they would be willing to work.

Sorry but its out of order in my book!

BettyBottersBetterButter Fri 16-Aug-13 10:29:20

In RL I'd agree Gluggy but surely that's the beauty of a forum you can ask strangers the sort of question you wouldn't ask people you know.

Well don't answer then Gluggy confused

Tanith Fri 16-Aug-13 11:41:58

I would prefer to know why the Op is asking, though.

Is she a current or prospective childminder, a parent, a journalist, a potential agency, a politician, a tax investigator...?

It's a really interesting question; you don't have to answer if you find it offensive! (And it is asked of othe professions on MN!)

I for one wouldn't begrudge a childminder earning decent money; it's really not the sort of job you can do 'for the money' I'm sure.

NarkyNamechanger Sat 17-Aug-13 08:18:07

Interesting that the op never came back though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now