Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

About to start PGCE childcare issues

(14 Posts)
worriedathome Sun 11-Aug-13 09:22:42

Hi I hope someone will have some advice for me. I am currently going through a very bad patch with my DP the most likely outcome that we are going to split. I am due to begin my PGCE in September through the schools direct programme so luckily know where all of my placements will be. I have a 2 year old who is very settled in nursery however that only starts at 8am therefore I need childcare from about 7am or someone to drop him to nursery whilst on placement. I don't have any family nearby who could do it and honestly I cannot see my sons father helping. I know it is going to be a hard year especially if we split I just need to get all of my ducks in a row regarding childcare, I am looking in the walthamstow area does anyone have any suggestions?

bamboostalks Sun 11-Aug-13 09:27:27

You need to find a child minder who is prepared to do an early morning drop for you. It's not easy but you will do it.

eeyore12 Sun 11-Aug-13 12:43:04

I uses to do a job like this, the parents had to leave for work at 7 and nursery didn't open till 8, also worked for another family where they left at 5.30 and nursery opened at 8. First I lived out the second I stayed over the night before so I didn't have to get there for 5.30! Just got the monitor at that time till baby woke up at 7.

I worked as a nanny the rest of the day for another family but didn't start till 8.30 and both nurseries were on my way to work from the families homes so worked well for everyone, a little extra money for me and someone to cover that time in the morning so there are people out there that can help you out.

Try advertising on your local netmums, gumtree, any local colleges that do childcare courses although you want be able to get anyone through them until they go back in sept.

But I am sure you will find someone, I got my two through the places I mentioned. Also try childcare.co.uk

SavoyCabbage Sun 11-Aug-13 12:46:20

I think you will be able to do it too. You know when it is going to be and it will suit someone as a little temporary job. What about an older person?

SunnyIntervals Sun 11-Aug-13 12:48:11

What about an ap? Perfect for drop offs

BettyBottersBetterButter Sun 11-Aug-13 14:18:46

I'm a childminder (not your area I'm afraid) & have a similar set-up with one of my families but I drop children at school then take child to nursery at 9am. It does mean mum is paying twice (ie me & nursery) between 8&9 but it works for us.

Childcareisscary Mon 12-Aug-13 00:08:26

I'm starting one in September too and I decided to opt for aupair just for the wrap around care aspect.but then you don't get any grant help.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 12-Aug-13 07:38:42

I think you might struggle to get a CM who will take your DC to nursery for 8 as I know that's when many of mine arrive. However like the poster above says you could get a CM to take your child to nursery after the school run.

You could also think about changing to a CM full time. Then your DC has more continuity of care.

teacherwith2kids Tue 13-Aug-13 10:22:37

It's worth getting something in place now because if you get a teaching job you will continue to need early morning childcare for many years! So think about finding a solution that will work for you up to and including primary school years.

In a very similar position to you (no splitting from partner, but he left too early for work to be of childcare help) we went for a childminder for the early morning slot. We pay a premium per hour for that, but it's been worth it because it has enabled me to get my PGCE and then work.

We identified a childminder who already did drop-offs to the primary that my children would attend. At one point she did early morning and some end of day after school stuff, but for years now we have just used her for early morning / breakfast.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 13-Aug-13 11:07:16

And if you want your child to attend a nursery type setting you could go for a couple of sessions at pre school.

Childminders do follow the same 'curriculum' the EYFS. But even as a CM myself I used a per school for my DS's from 3ish.

drinkyourmilk Tue 13-Aug-13 11:45:43

Would one of the nursery nurses be Interested in working for an hour for you between 7-8?

CMOTDibbler Tue 13-Aug-13 11:47:53

I'd ask the nursery staff - when ds was at nursery there were a couple of the staff that would come early to ours then take ds with them, or bring him home at the end of the day and stay till one of us got home when we needed it

lucyfluff Mon 19-Aug-13 08:22:52

I would suggest a full-time childminder. I completed the PGCE in 2011 and it was physically/mentally draining so she really helped. Be aware on placements you need to arrive min half hour early to prepare for the day/meet with teacher etc, its hard work then and at the end f the day.

My cm dropped off to school for me so if you found one to drop off at nursery that would be good OR consider staying with cm during the day.

I was also a single-parent and the loans/grants and bursaries available to me where fantastic - ask student finance/uni and local la what you can claim. Good luck x

teacherwith2kids Mon 19-Aug-13 15:54:01

I would echo LucyFluff. For placements, you will be expected to be in school at least 'normal teacher hours' and possibly more, plus loads of prep and probably marking at home. It depends on the school, but most will raise eyebrows at a trainee who arrives later than 8 - often earlier - and most teachers don't leave school until at least 5pm (though that varies from school to school).

As placements may be a significant distance away - my furthest was a 50 minute commute - I would suggest looking not only at the beginning but also at the end of the day in terms of childcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now