Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Interview activity for 6yo with sen?

(25 Posts)

I've been offered an interview for a lovely looking job and have been told by the agency to arrange an activity.

I have never done this at interview before and the child has sen. All I know about this isthat she has global delays and language difficulties. I have no idea to what extent so have no clue what type of activity to do, no clues as to what the child likes either.

Any ideas as to what I could do? I was thinking of pre cutting some clothes to stick onto a person base I pre make too.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 07-Aug-13 20:32:59

Sounds like a difficult situation! I would have thought it would be better, from the point of view of the parents and child, for them to have an activity that the child likes and to observe you interacting with her.

Still, that's not the task! Your idea sounds fine, or you could take along some small world play and just...play. Farm set, small dolls' house maybe?

That's what I've done in past interviews! Just played with what they have. I don't have any small world toys, or any toys for that matter! Was going to run to adsa tomorrow night to buy crafty bits for the activity. I'm nervous I'll mess up, looks like a fantastic job rehabs would suit really well with the job in staying in.

Which, not rehabs, bloody phone

NarkyNamechanger Wed 07-Aug-13 20:39:29

Could you put together a story sack?

A popular book like The Hungry Caterpillar and some props to make it visual? I have some puppets of a caterpillar and butterfly and then I raid the fruit bowl and grab a leaf from the garden smile

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 07-Aug-13 20:43:40

Hmm difficult one as you know so little about the child. My recommendation would be to take 2 or 3 activities so you have a better chance of engaging with the child. My DS has SEN and there is not enough persuasion in the world that would convince him to engage in something he didn't want to do!
As you don't know the level of delay I would take some more simple stuff like play dough as you can adapt it more easily, making it a more simple or more involved activity depending on the child.

afromom Wed 07-Aug-13 20:44:10

How about a messy play activity like shaving foam on a tray or clay to encourage an activity that you can do together, which will encourage fine motor skills (mark making/ manipulation of objects, cutting, rolling), language development (it's cold, soft, hard, slimy etc) and good activities that promote fun and learning together, demonstrating, following instructions,etc.

Do you know if it needs to be literacy/numeracy focused or can it be any activity? If literacy shaving foam would be better as you can practice letter formation. If clay numeracy as you could make models and count (how many legs on the dog, how many candles on the cake, etc)

Also both would be good for any age of child from toddler to 6 and can be done with very little/good language skills.

Thanks for the ideas! My current charge is the same if he isn't interested in the activity. I will do some playdoh as well smile

Ruggles Thu 08-Aug-13 18:53:01

Instead of taking something prepared I would have a few 'pocket money' toys in your handbag and slowly produce them and interact together with them, either at a table or on the floor. My Dd has a speech delay and one of the best activities her SALT set us was to interact together with fun toys - silly glasses, spinning tops, wind up owls, farm animals, a pocket torch, slinky, pull back cars etc. I bought lots from Tobar and have put them in an old plastic sweet shop container. My DD just loves it - she spills them out and we 'discover' them together. I am very quiet and let her speak, say something and then repeat and build on it. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

PS - another good one is the fishing game or Potato Head with playdoh.

I love that idea ruggles! I'm wondering if I can get to a shop after work tomorrow, supposed to finish at 4pm so I may be able to, not a clue where to get stuff like that though apart from one shop but that's too far from work :/

The fishing game being making fish with magnets and paper clips? I keep meaning to do that with my 2yo charge as she thinks she#'sa a pirate who enjoys fishing hmm But I will see if I can get magnets at Asda and do that too.

I also thought about sewing? Would that work? One of those kits from Asda with the plastic [needle] and everything. Would that work?

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 08-Aug-13 22:11:00

I think that could be too specific/ not that easy to adapt. If the sen are quite severe she might not have the motor skills to do it. You need something that you could do with 2 year olds, but also much older kids. I think playdoh is a winner.

nbee84 Thu 08-Aug-13 22:26:57

Maybe go for something quite visual - like a lotto game with pictures or snap. I second the playdough idea as well - good for any age and skill level.

In my new job I will be looking after a 4 year old with GDD. I've only met her once so far, but from Mum's details her understanding, fine motor skills and speech are a couple of years behind. I've had no sn experience, but as Mum said at the interview, neither has she!

I've bookmarked this page about activities for fine motor skills that I came across on here.

nbee84 Thu 08-Aug-13 22:28:45

Meant to say - Good luck with the interview and do let us know how you get on grin

NomDeClavier Fri 09-Aug-13 11:33:54

If you're on pinterest there are tons and tons o ideas that can be adapted or are focused on promoting certain aspects of development.

Nom: I am on there, it's fatal grin

I'm going with playdoh I think, if I take anything, I spoke to the agency earlier and was told not to worry too much confused

Need to call the Mum tonight, had another enquiry as well today which would be a lovely job if this one doesn't happen for any reason.

& thank you nbee! grin

I didn't take an activity in the end as after speaking to the Mum it seemed that it wouldn't be needed. Interview was this morning and I feel that it went well, she's keen and has me going back for a short trial the week after next whilst child's Dad will check my references this week so I'm pretty excited! Keeping my fingers crossed and going to contact the other family today to organise an interview with them just in case smile

TeamSouthfields Sat 10-Aug-13 22:08:01

Sorry... My first thoughts are, if u cant think of 1 activity with this child,, and u have to resort to the internet. Then u shouldnt really be working with them...

It should be a natural thing, regardless of sen, u should know a number of adaptable activities

Of course team, I shouldn't work with kids because I have spent the past two years doing entirely child led activities and our of the home activities at the request of the parents and am out of touch of organising craft activities let alone one for a child with completely unknown sen. My bosses seem to think I'm a great nanny and are singing my praises in my references so I think I'll go with what they say, not a randomer on the Internet who has seen a snippet of my very nervous pre interview worries.

nbee84 Sat 10-Aug-13 22:48:50

Team - it's always good to have collective advice and opinions.

Glad to hear the interview went well Pixie - fingers crossed for you.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-Aug-13 22:50:18

Yeah you're right Team how dare the OP ask a forum for help, support and advice?! If you can't do it alone, don't do it at all!

<closes down mumsnet>

hmm

my2bundles Sun 11-Aug-13 04:09:41

teamsouthshields. that is very unfair, Op knew nothing about the child, the stage of development, how the special needs affects the child. I have a child with additional needs, its difficult to draw up activities up if you dont know that child and havent yet picked up cues from them. its difficult when my dd gets a new teacher as they need time to get to know one another and what makes my dd tick. Your comment was uncalled for. OP good luck.

SunnyIntervals Thu 15-Aug-13 18:37:04

How did it go, op?

It went okay I think, though I have to wait until Tuesday before my trial with the child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now