This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much of a market do you think there would be for a 'Saturday night Au-pair' in North London?

(61 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:18:24

DD (15 nearly 16) is studying in London at the weekends. She needs to stay over Saturday night

Would marketing her as a babysitter/au-pair be a good way to solve her problem. She is fairly child savvy (I run a nursery from home)

Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek but I'm just canvassing in case it might work(& DD's safety would be my priority)

KatyMac Sat 26-Oct-13 19:21:35

Thanks to the people who have been in touch; two nights sorted 3 to go (until Christmas)

'Homestay' has thrown up a possible - but I need to be brave & get in touch
The college have found a Christian 'Hall of Residence' but it starts from 18
A mum from the course is in the middle of building work but might help after Christmas
Her dance teacher has found a Lodging again from 18
Someone has suggested a Boarding House that has children from the shows - which I am waiting to hear back from

We've actually sorted 4 nights out but 2 of those are for Auditions!! So the patchwork is growing

KatyMac Tue 22-Oct-13 14:37:56

I've replied (so it must have got through)

funkypigeon Tue 22-Oct-13 13:48:39

I'm having trouble PMing you! I'll keep trying, hold on

KatyMac Tue 22-Oct-13 13:31:21

Tbh she struggles to pass for 15 - no-one would believe she was 18 at all

Fingers crossed it'll get sorted - I have 1 night organised only 4 to go

holidaysarenice Tue 22-Oct-13 11:51:22

The travelodge won't know what age she is.

If she needs I'd does she have a sisters passport to use.

KatyMac Mon 21-Oct-13 18:15:35

I've pm'ed

Thank you

DowntonTrout Mon 21-Oct-13 18:10:12

Katy, my DD stays at a boarding house for 2 of the theatre schools. She boards mon- fri but I know they have some who weekend as well and some who stay just the nights they are appearing in shows. I don't know if they would take yourvDD or if it is the sort of thing you are looking for but it may be worth asking?

It is, of course, all above board, fully CRB checked and they take 11-16 yo. It costs £25pn for B&B. Pm me if you would like me to send you their contact details.

KatyMac Mon 21-Oct-13 17:59:42

Lighthousekeeping - a family friend who is happy to commit to one night but not all 5, so had said no because they didn't want to be dumped with her (understandably)

Thanks Cbeebies

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 21-Oct-13 17:57:04

If I was in London I'd do it in a heartbeat. So instead I'll bump this up and hope someone else comes along

Lighthousekeeping Mon 21-Oct-13 17:54:40

Brilliant. What did you book?

KatyMac Mon 21-Oct-13 17:42:15

Well I have 1 of the next 5 dates firmly booked. Only 4 to go.....

KatyMac Mon 21-Oct-13 00:07:25

Thanks

Hopefully college will be OK - they have college flats and lists of 'digs' where they stay with a family. One college I particularly liked informed them at an Open Day "If they didn't turn up for college he (the head) would phone their parents...& if they didn't like it they could go somewhere els!!"

Teens can be very big can't they? & you wouldn't be able to ship them home at weekends because of the work load

Lighthousekeeping Mon 21-Oct-13 00:03:48

It's very difficult when all the opportunities seem to be London based isn't it? I feel guilty because I have a London address but flat is so tiny I can't imagine having a teenager living with me. I hope she finds somewhere soon.

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 23:57:32

Not quite - she wants a performing arts/dance college. She has a place at a top school for an Associate Scheme & on Sunday she is in a sort of Dance company/training - she has had leave from the Sunday class as she had exams & 2 shows but she wants to start back after half-term

It might be too much for her; but I just had a reference from her teacher (to go with a college application) and it made me cry. She made DD sound so grown up and sensible - I almost didn't recognise her

Lighthousekeeping Sun 20-Oct-13 23:52:28

Is she going to ballet school? My cousin is looking at me for her daughter next year. Sadly, I'm in the Styx so won't be able to commit.

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 23:49:44

Oh bless

She is fairly good with children & quite pragmatic; often the nursery children 'came first' so she is used to looking after them & can distract, distract, distract with the best of my team. She can record accurate & insightful observations - which means in the holidays extra obs get done when we are run ragged. & can normally get a reluctant child to finish their tea with the promise of a story from DD (which is a treat) or a dance session wink

She isn't perfect - but she is pretty good - I think she would have played with his toys on the bed encouraging him to as well or unless a very large 3 yo she would have put him back to bed or just covered him with a blanket & made sure the stairgate was closed etc

It is hard making the decisions but a night a week now (termtime only) will hopefully prepare both of us for next year - which will be hard

OldRoan Sun 20-Oct-13 23:41:50

You know your daughter, and from what I've seen of your posts on here she is pretty together. I think 15 is fine as long as the conditions you've suggested are in place.

I went away to school and we used to babysit for teachers at the weekend (for the bargain price of a night off homework and a frozen pizza) from about 14. The youngest I ever looked after was 3, and he woke up and started playing with his toys (as they had said he might). What they didn't say was what to do then, and when I checked on him he had fallen asleep on the floor. I was so worried about picking him up I left him, and just sat in his room watching to check he was breathing. They thought it was hilarious when they got home, until they realised I hadn't ever looked after a young child and genuinely hadn't known what to do. Then they were very apologetic.

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 23:05:08

I'm hoping it will be good practise for when she leaves home next September <gulp>

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 23:01:57

Really?

Goodness - In a year she could be on a childcare course and working part-time in my nursery.

I was regularly babysitting from 14; I wouldn't let her do 'overnights' and tbh if anyone said they were going to be a long distance away I wouldn't let her do it. We were offered 1 yr old twins & I said no to that as there is too much potential to go wrong - but Junior school age and within 30 minutes distance with the proper phone numbers and back up plans I think would be fine.

Siblings can be a bad idea anyway because of personalities and familiarity, but you know your children best and what would work for them.

SoonToBeSix Sun 20-Oct-13 22:55:32

15 is very young to a) stay in London alone and b) be responsible for other peoples children.
My dd is 15 and I wouldn't let her babysitter her younger siblings for longer than an hour and only in the day time.

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 22:46:11

Thanks Wellwoman - I pm'ed you

WellWoman Sun 20-Oct-13 22:27:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Sun 20-Oct-13 21:47:20

Aw thanks Chipping - if I could do the au-pair babysitting thing with 3 or 4 than a guaranteed night out once a month could seem attractive to someone(s)

Aupairtrouble Sun 20-Oct-13 21:46:24

If I lived in London, I would definitely be up for this if I had the spare room. Best of luck x

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sun 20-Oct-13 21:39:17

Katy - I'd much rather have her staying with an MNer than in a youth hostel. Why don't you post in chat and see if anyone wants a permanent Saturday night guest/babysitter. If I lived in London still, I'd be happy to have her for the half term. Probably not longer tbh, but only because I like my own space too much! <<others with teens don't get that anyway, so one more wouldn't matter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now