This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much of a market do you think there would be for a 'Saturday night Au-pair' in North London?

(61 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:18:24

DD (15 nearly 16) is studying in London at the weekends. She needs to stay over Saturday night

Would marketing her as a babysitter/au-pair be a good way to solve her problem. She is fairly child savvy (I run a nursery from home)

Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek but I'm just canvassing in case it might work(& DD's safety would be my priority)

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 05-Aug-13 21:32:41

Not much imo.

Teenage babysitting is popular but with a teen they know/know the parents and only when they need it, not every Saturday, but you never know....

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:36:28

I know sad

& she eats loads

GotMyGoat Mon 05-Aug-13 21:38:00

You can send her over here on a free trial if you like!

Hmmm... would she really be happy to stay the night at a strangers house? I know I would have been a bit nervous at that age - even of a lovely family!

I have no idea what the going rate is for teenagers is these days. babysitting used to be £10 a night back in the day.

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:40:50

Oh she wouldn't charge

Babysitting = room & board, she might even pay the host.....I did mention she eats a lot

It would have to be someone who knew someone & we'd have to meet them

GotMyGoat Mon 05-Aug-13 21:45:28

There's always a distant aunt or cousin who you've never heard of around... I'm always being told of some distance relative in the lake district who I should go and stay with.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 05-Aug-13 21:46:55

Whereabouts does she need to stay? It might appeal to an older couple who might just like to help out/bit of a surrogate grandchild type thing.

Are you members of a church?

DeepPurple Mon 05-Aug-13 21:48:57

It actually sounds like quite a good idea to me! Free room in exchange for free babysitting! I'm not sure how many people want a babysitter on just a Saturday night but it is certainly worth a punt!

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:50:11

Church - that is a good idea!

& maybe Guides as well

Relatives have offered 'occasionals' - but it's 30 weeks so I don't want to take advantage

It's at times like this I wish I'd never moved 'out to the country'

I guess I was thinking it would be like an exchange visit (sort of)

GotMyGoat Mon 05-Aug-13 21:50:43

Perhaps she could be the London mumsnet babysitter? she can hop from house to house each weekend so we all get an evening out with our SO's. She can be the pilot scheme before we roll it out to each district.

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:54:46

grin

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 21:55:24

I guess I need someone who works Saturday night (term-time only)

That would work

If I lived in London we would go for this sort of arrangement - so you might find someone. I think you need to target the area near where her course is rather than just London or she could have a long commute.

Fairyloo Mon 05-Aug-13 21:59:09

I love the idea and would be interested but I'm further north

KatyMac Mon 05-Aug-13 22:01:06

Northern line would do I guess

Silly isn't it - there is almost no chance I'd actually do it(I'm far too much of a wuss), but it's a great idea in theory in practise? Too scary!

GotMyGoat Mon 05-Aug-13 22:04:39

I'm on the northern line! It's a very very long line though.

For an 18 year plus its a fantastic idea, but 16 does sound a bit scary. Then again, many families 'foster' foreign exchange students so this isn't very different, you just need someway to check people's ID - I suppose only families with somebody CRB/DBS checked would help?

KatyMac Tue 06-Aug-13 07:41:07

This morning it's much less of a good idea wink

But worth exploring I guess to know that...

drinkyourmilk Tue 06-Aug-13 08:46:16

Shame she's not in Brighton.
I would happily put her up on a Saturday. Though she might think its a bit odd as we don't have kids yet.

KatyMac Tue 06-Aug-13 12:43:25

If she were studying in Brighton you could have her!!

(Un)fortunately it's a top London school & Travelodge won't have 15yos wink

drinkyourmilk Tue 06-Aug-13 12:54:16

Can the school suggest anything? She can't be the only one who is / has been in this position.

KatyMac Tue 06-Aug-13 13:05:13

I think everyone else is Local(ish) - well London

DD is the only dipstick travelling hundreds of miles wink

Karoleann Tue 06-Aug-13 17:11:30

Maybe put an ad up in the noticeboard section of netmums?
Personally I'd lie and put her in the travel lodge - especially if she's nearly.
Its still maybe worth contacting the college - one of the tutors would maybe want the a bit of extra cash at the weekend.

CelticPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 17:16:14

Where is the school? I might go for it two or three times, not every week though. I reckon mumsnet could cover it smile

Kiriwawa Tue 06-Aug-13 17:22:30

Were I still in London, I'd definitely do it. I'd love to be able to go out on a Saturday night, even if it's just to the cinema or have a night off from doing bedtime (single parent).

I'm not there any more though sad

What are the dates? I could ask my (very nice) North London friends if any of them would be interested? Assume she'd want her own room

Renovatinghouse Tue 06-Aug-13 22:55:39

Hi Katy! It's not a bad idea - unusual but not bad. At what time would she finish her course and where in London does she need to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now