This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to find a nanny?

(8 Posts)
OrchidFlakes Fri 02-Aug-13 12:51:26

I'm not loving childcare.co.uk can anyone suggest where else I can look for a nanny? We are in north London/Essex borders

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 02-Aug-13 12:56:25

Gumtree
Nannyjob
Local agencies? Do a google search for agencies in your area.

EasterHoliday Fri 02-Aug-13 13:54:31

use local agencies not franchises of national ones - with the franchises (I'm looking at you, Tinies) you don't get a choice of which offic you register with either as employer or nanny. I therefore found myself living in one county and looking for a nanny from my county but forced to register with a neighbouring county. Only nanny I saw was from another office but she wasn't able to register with the office in the county she was looking in. So irritating.

Gumtree is good but moves quickly so you may have to repost every few days

I agree with the local agencies (also looking at you Tinies!!)

Whereabouts in N London are you?

OrchidFlakes Fri 02-Aug-13 16:52:24

I hadn't thought of Gumtree, I think I'll do that tonight smile

I'm in chingford but new to the area so struggling with local recommendations etc. I'd prefer not to use an agency if possible, partly because of their fees but mainly because I want the right person, not the most qualified or most experienced which I fear the agency checks won't pick up as personality can't be tick boxed.

I wonder if I can send the nanny to work for me and I'll stay home?!

Cindy34 Fri 02-Aug-13 16:52:27

Seems strange that agencies in a group can't pool nannies and employers. In some areas, nannies may well live in a different area to the employer.

OrchidFlakes Fri 02-Aug-13 16:53:10

I forgot to say, I'm looking for someone 2.5 days a week - does that change where I should look?

claireb1234 Sun 18-Aug-13 15:35:45

Hi, did you find a nanny? I have a nanny friend who lives in Enfield looking for a 2 or 3 day job. She currently works 2 days looking after a 1 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now