This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just lost one of my jobs :(

(25 Posts)

What do I do? I love my charges, my two jobs fit in perfectly with each other and now I've just been made redundant from one of them as boss is leaving her job. I know that it's the best thing for the familyas they'll actually have a great family life but I'm stilll gutted.

What do I do, I need to find a replacement obviously, where should I start? Need my thinking cap on now or in going to crywhen they get home from their night out and iI already cried in front of my boss earlier. Kids are in bed hence me being on mn before you all point out what a bad nanny I am wink

Any good agencies for part time in Brighton area?

mellicauli Thu 01-Aug-13 22:01:53

Poor you. Start by asking your other family if they need more hours. They may know someon else who is looking.

They are cutting my hours in September as little one goes to nursery. Two of their friends are interested already and have been queuing for months but one can't afford a nanny as much as I'd like to work for her and I don't want to work for the other as she puts me into a really awkward situation with regards to her child's behaviour every time I sea her (he constantly his and shoves my charge, I avoid them wherever possible as she refused to handle it).

Querying, not queuing

ChippingInHopHopHop Thu 01-Aug-13 22:32:06

sad Bugger. It's so hard isn't it, you can't help but get very attached to the little monkies.

childcare.co.uk would be my best suggestion. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find something to fit in with your current job.

How long have you been in the job that you have been made redundant from?

Yep, one of them has and and is home edded so I'm overly attached to him as we spent so much time together, the other two are great too.

I will update my profile on childcare tomorrow. I want to talk to my other employer and ask her if she wants flexibility on the days I will be doing from September. Not looking forward to trying to be employed either. Had a chat about that with hmrc yesterday funnily enough!

Has asd bloody phone

Profile updated, gutted that they've raised the sodding price AGAIN. They've priced me out of the yearly membership for the second time which I finally had the money to buy again (the £70 one! Now £99.99!) they are twats that site!

UK.Care.com has been updated too, will get on gumtree, I just uploaded a babysitting ad there because of thinking I would only need occasional extra work sad It gets buried in piles of people willing to work for £5ph though which sucks, why would somebody pay a nanny £10ph gross and do tax if they can get a person who's willing to be 'self employed' and paid cash in hand? sad

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 02-Aug-13 10:05:17

Yes, childcare.co.uk has become more and more expensive over the couple of years I have used it!

I remember when I first joined and the price was minimal, it was great. Now that they are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) site in the country they've taken the complete and utter piss and upped their prices. It's completely unaffordable, who has a spare £20 for a months membership? Or £100 for a yearly one? I intended to buy the yearly one next month to get babysitting and ad-hoc work but could have scraped the extra tenner I'm short by for now but I haven't got a spare £40.

I have my full name on the site but god knows if people actually google it. I got my current two jobs from there but don't think I'll be able to use it unless parents pay.

ChippingInHopHopHop Fri 02-Aug-13 10:32:52

Confused - Most parents end up paying to join. If you say in your blurb that you don't have full membership and they need to contact you if interested then mark any you like as 'favourites', that should work as they'll get an email saying you have done that.

I know they do, I'm just paranoid that I'm not going to find something. Last time I paid and messaged everybody that would suit with my email address, my current two employers had paid themselves though.

I have favourited the ones that would suit. I haven't told my other boss yet, DP told me to tell her in person, I am debating asking her how flexible she could be on days as for her this will be a big pain as she was banking on my being able to be flexible from mid-September on the day off I had which I was fine with as I had two, two day a week jobs and neither took the piss with my flexibility (well, the one I've been made redundant from did a bit but I was okay with it).

The set up would have been perfect as I'm opening an online shop for my hobby too later this year so there was a great balance between work and home sad God knows how I'm going to find that again. My two jobs suit one another so well, one quite relaxed and child led with a toddler, the other very full on and me in charge with three older kids and two on the spectrum, it was a great balance! Bollocks.

I do understand why they have made me redundant and really do feel that it's actually the best course of action for the family and I intend to join the volunteer team who'll be working with one of my old charges but I am still so gutted and I'll miss all three of them sad

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 02-Aug-13 13:10:36

its hard when you get made redundant sad and think childcare is so overpriced

if netmums can do free ads as can gumtree why cant they do the same

tho guess its a business but maybe make membership much cheaper-£50 for a year is ok - or even send one free message a day would be better

Aha! Netmums! Thank you, forgot about there!

I think it was £50 a year in the past, I think that's okay as it is a business, but they know that there is no other choice and kept ramping up the prices which has made it inaccessible to both childcarers and parents.

NomDeClavier Fri 02-Aug-13 14:32:28

Nannyjob too, they just make the parents pay, but it's still far cheaper than childcare.co.uk is.

Catnap26 Fri 02-Aug-13 15:17:11

You could advertise yourself on gumtree

MABS Fri 02-Aug-13 15:46:49

I may know of something 3pm til 8pm 4 days per week - that wouldn't work I guess? use of car and have to drive fair bit, but over near Shoreham. pm me if you interested, but be aware I getting on plane in few hours so sporadic contact!

Thanks MABS, that wouldn't suit but thank you for thinking of it! I'll still have R two days a week from 12pm till 5/6pm (I hope!) I'm hoping to avoid the later finishes if I have a choice about it in the end as a lot of the courses and things I want to do once my level 3 is complete are evenings.

catnap: I'm on gumtree already, unfortunately, so are many many people who are happy with a lot less money sad I'll redo the gumtree ad though.

ActionLog Fri 02-Aug-13 22:57:18

Hard as it may be I think you probably need to consider that if you cant find another PT job that works what point you have to look at full time roles and be willing to leave your other job.

tbh I don't think it'd come to that, getting a full time job around here is virtually impossible (I've seen two advertised within 15 miles) so whatever happens I'll end up having to juggle two jobs anyway.

Woo, had an interview with Tinies today and they seem to be okay with putting me forward for some jobs that look good grin

thistlelicker Mon 05-Aug-13 18:33:23

Good luck!

Thank you! They were lovely so I'm hoping that they can, feel a bit bad that I couldn't reassure them about my health issues, they wanted to chat to my doctor but I am between doctors at the moment and the old one never actually did much so I'm hoping that the fact I've managed to hold down two jobs, one very stressful (and rewarding obvs!) with no problems will be enough reassurance.

Just need to talk to my boss in the morning about having been made redundant in my other job and ask how flexible she can be about days I work. I wanted to explain it to her in person rather than over the phone and got given the day off today so it's delayed things :/

NomDeClavier Mon 05-Aug-13 21:37:10

You know that there are v strict questions about health they can ask, right? It has to be confined to your ability to do your job. You are protected by disability discrimination legislation.

Yeah, they asked if they could speak to a doctor to confirm that I could do my job, I said that they couldn't because I didn't have one at the moment. If they are concerned they are always able to ask my current bosses during reference calls as to how I manage my health issues, I've always been quite open with my bosses about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now